CrimeNews

Two men appear in Tembisa court for alleged statutory rape

A Kaalfontein mother came across a letter written by a 23-year-old man to her daughter’s school.

Two men from Kaalfontein have appeared in the Tembisa Magistrate’s Court on August 20 after being charged with statutory rape of two girls aged 14 and 15.

According to the Ivory Park SAPS communications officer, Captain Bernard Matimulane, the local unit of the Ekurhuleni North Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences Unit of the SAPS moved swiftly to arrest the two after parents of both minors opened cases against them.

“One of the alleged perpetrators is a father to the victim while another suspect is known to the family of the victim. In the case of the father and daughter rape, the girl’s mother came across her daughter’s nude pictures which she had sent to her father over WhatsApp. When the 15-year-old child was questioned about the pictures she told the mother that she had been sleeping with her father since February this year. The 37-year-old man was promptly arrested for rape,” said Matimulane.

Matimulane added in the second rape incident, a Kaalfontein mother came across a letter written by a 23-year-old man to her daughter’s school.

“In the letter, the suspect, posing as the girl’s mother, wrote a letter to the school that the young girl was sick and wouldn’t report to school. She became aware of the letter when she went to the girl’s school to collect her school report. The 14-year-old has apparently been seen the man when she was 13 years in 2017,” added Matimulane.

“These arrests remind us that as parents we have to remain vigilant as our children can get into trouble right under our noses. We must encourage our children to be transparent with us and tell whatever is bothering them without the fear of being judged,” said Brigadier David Mbongeni Ngcobo, the station commander of the Ivory Park SAPS.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Kempton Express in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button