MunicipalNews

ALERT: No more power to be restored until Tuesday night

Gadebe said constant and revised updates would be provided.

UPDATE 10am:

Themba Gadebe, spokesperson for the City of Ekurhuleni, just confirmed that the City of Ekurhuleni would not be able to restore any further power until Tuesday evening from 6pm.

“After a full assessment of the damage and work that needs to be done, we expect to start switching back customers from Tuesday 6pm.”

Areas still of are Norkem Park, parts of Birchleigh, Allen Grove, Nimrod Park, Witfontein and Glen Marais.

He said at this stage it was still not known what caused the explosion. Investigations continue.

UPDATE SUNDAY 8.30am:

Weathering bitter cold conditions technicians worked throughout Saturday night to restore power to at least four suburbs.

Electricity to Van Riebeeck Park, Edleen, Terenure and Birch Acres was restored in the early hours of Sunday morning, said Themba Gadebe, spokesperson for the City of Ekurhuleni, on Sunday morning.

According to him all suburbs still without electricity should be back on by 6pm on Sunday evening.

UPDATE 4.30pm:

Themba Gadebe, spokesperson for the City of Ekurhuleni, confirmed on Saturday afternoon Van Riebeeck Park’s electricity should be restored within the next eight hours.

However, all other suburbs still off will only have electricity by Sunday at 6pm.

He said the damage caused by the explosion at the Glen Marais substation was extensive.

“At this stage we do not know what caused the explosion,” he told Kempton Express.

He said constant and revised updates would be provided.

UPDATE: 3pm

A reassessment of the damage at the substation will be done at 7pm tonight, ward councillor Jaco Terblacnhe said.

In the meantime only a few areas had been switched on, including Glen Marais extensions, Aston Manor, Nimrod Park, Bonaero Park, Pomona and Bredell, Terblanche said.

According to the latest information he received more areas could be restored during the night or on Sunday.

Until now the City of Ekurhuleni has not issued a statement to clarify the situation. A small update on Facebook and Twitter was posted three hours ago.

Technicians are still on site.

UPDATE: 10.15am

Just before 10am teams could still not enter the substation to establish what damage was caused by an earlier explosion.

According to ward councillor Jaco Terblanche there is still too much smoke inside.

Areas without electricity are Van Riebeeck Park, Norkem Park, parts of Birchleigh, Glen Marais, Aston Manor, Nimrod Park, Kempton Park ext 2 and 3, as well as parts of Bredell and Pomona.

According to him technicians would try to restore power to Van Riebeeck Park, Birchleigh and Norkem Park first, once inside.

Original story:

An explosion at a substation in Glen Marais left huge parts of Kempton Park without power since 4am on Saturday morning.

At this stage the City of Ekurhuleni is unable to give a turnaround time, as the damage caused must first be assessed.

Teams are on site.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Kempton Express in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button