Local newsNews

R3.2 billion Ters paid in Limpopo

The Department of Employment and Labour has paid R3.2 billion in Temporary Employment Relief scheme (Ters) funds in Limpopo so far.

Out of the R40 billion budget for the scheme which was effective from March 2020, a total of R66 billion has been paid in the last 20 months nationwide. In the period between April 2021 and January 2022, R1.5 billion has been paid in the province.

These statistics were given during a media briefing at the Royal Hotel in Polokwane, on Wednesday, February 23. According to the national director for UIF, communication, and marketing, Makhosonke Buthelezi, the UIF Covid-19 Ters, and the Sassa relief schemes, are the most successful in the country out of the R500 billion stimulus package.

The remainder of the money has not yet been paid, because of varying errors such as wrong bank accounts and lack of declaration by the employer. Despite the success of the scheme, the biggest challenge has been fraud and currently, in Limpopo, there are 60 cases of fraud handed over to the Special Investigation Unit (SIU).

Makhosonke Buthelezi.

Buthelezi also added that a lot of people who are now unemployed and have once received Ters are now frustrated when they try to apply for UIF. “People who are no longer working and once received UIF, struggle to apply for the Sassa grant as the system shows that they are receiving UIF.

“Even students who want to apply for NSFAS bursaries struggle to get funding because the system shows that their working and are declared with UIF. “In such cases, the employer has to now remove them and declare that they are no longer working with them,” he added.

Also read: You can claim UIF benefits during maternity leave if you lose income

According to Limpopo deputy director of beneficiary services, Ronet Landman, some of Tzaneen’s labour agents have been found to be asking money from people, who want to claim their UIF. She condemned the behaviour and said their services are free and no one should pay for the department’s services.

Vuledzani Mulindi.

Director of Limpopo UIF, Vuledzani Mulindi, responded to allegations that some of the labour department offices in the province don’t treat people with respect and only select to attend to a specific number of people per day. “Such behaviour goes against the call by the minister, Thulas Nxesi, to service people with dignity.

“People cannot be turned away unattended. “We also can’t rule out the issue of lack of resources and manpower in other branches,” he said. Mulindi added that he is aware that offices such as Tzaneen and Giyani are at times inundated with visitors and queries, especially after the picking season has passed on the farms, and that it can be overwhelming.

He concluded by indicating that the Giyani office, will soon have a manager to fill in the vacant position and hopefully that will also help to improve service delivery. For more information contact 0800 030 007 or the following emails ronet.landman@labour.gov. za or rangwato.choma@labour.gov.za or mashudu.yase@labour.gov.za or desry.mahlobogoane@labour.gov.za.

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Letaba Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Anwen Mojela

Anwen Mojela is a journalist at the Letaba Herald. She graduated with an Advanced Diploma in Journalism at the Tshwane University of Technology. Including an internship and freelancing, Anwen has four years’ experience in the field and has been a permanent name in the Herald for nearly three years. Anwen’s career highlights include a water corruption investigative story when she was an intern and delving into wildlife and nature conservation. “I became a journalist mainly to be the voice of the voiceless, especially working for a community newspaper. Helping with the bit that I can, makes choosing journalism worth it.

Related Articles

Back to top button