Simphiwe Ntuli (9) and his 15-year-old cousin were playing on a windmill when he fell and was strangled by a wire attached to the mill. His cousin tried to untangle the wire from his neck, however, she could not. She rushed to get assistance from her grandmother but when they both reached Simphiwe, he was no longer breathing.
The incident happened near the family home in De Roodekop farm on the R555 Stoffberg road. The family contacted emergency services at about 17:00 but they only arrived at 23:00, as they could not find the farm.
The police have opened an inquest docket.
The deceased’s mother, Thandi Ntuli, said it was the first time her son and his cousin played on the windmill and sadly the last time for young Simphiwe. Ms Ntuli said that no one can explain what exactly happened.
“I do not know how to explain it, no one knows what happened there. Everyone is shocked,” said the disheartened mother.
Ms Ntuli said Simphiwe was a healthy and happy child.
The 15-year-old cousin, who saw the whole incident, is still traumatised.
Want breaking news on the go?
• Save our standby number (072 248 3855) and send us a WhatsApp message with the words “Add me” to be added to our broadcast list.
• Subscribe to our YouTube channel.
Have a news tip?
Contact our news room on our 24 hr standby number 072 248 3855, or send a mail to our editor email@example.com