Shaune Mogaila will return to Tembisa Magistrates’ Court next year after R20 000 bail
Mogaila turned himself in to the Rabie Ridge police on October 30, following a tragic car crash earlier that day on Andrew Mapheto Road in Tembisa, which resulted in the death of a 9-year-old girl.
Sekhukhune United player Shaune Mogaila was granted R20 000 bail after his court appearance in the Tembisa Magistrates’ Court, facing charges of culpable homicide, and reckless and negligent driving.
His next appearance is scheduled for February 4 next year. Mogaila turned himself in at the Rabie Ridge Police Station on October 30, following a tragic car crash earlier that day on Andrew Mapheto Road in Tembisa, which resulted in the death of a 9-year-old girl and serious injuries to her mother and a 13-year-old neighbour’s child.

The mother was driving her daughter and the neighbour’s boy to school when Mogaila’s BMD smashed into her red Hyundai. It is alleged Mogaila was returning from a 2-0 victory over Richards Bay at Peter Mokaba Stadium the night before.
Ekurhuleni Metro Police Department spokesperson Thabiso Makgato reported that the children’s mother and the 13-year-old were trapped in the wreckage but were later rescued and taken to hospital. Upon arrival, police discovered alcohol bottles and suspected narcotics in Mogaila’s vehicle.
Mogaila (29) allegedly fled the scene shortly after the accident around 07:00 but later surrendered to police. Makgato confirmed Mogaila had a minor bruise on the forehead.

Mogaila’s court appearance was initially scheduled for October 31 but was delayed because the docket was incomplete, as noted by the National Prosecution Authority (NPA). The NPA spokesperson Phindi Mjonondwane stated that police were instructed to return the docket by November 1 and Mogaila was granted bail on the same day.
Also read: What to do after a road accident: a step-by-step guide
The family of the deceased 9-year-old expressed their dissatisfaction with the bail decision. The spokesperson of the family Sifiso Skosana said, “Although we knew he was going to get bail, we were not expecting him to be granted bail so soon. We feel let down by the justice system, especially since alcohol and drugs were found in his car.”

The family of the 13-year-old boy is also seeking community support, as paramedics took the boy to a private hospital and they did not have a medical aid.
Mihloti Khethiwa, the spokesperson for the boy’s family said, “We are devastated by the loss of the young girl… My nephew was taken to the private hospital with the mother of the girl as they were both unconscious. The paramedics thought the boy was the child of the mother, hence, they also took him to a private hospital. The hospital bills are accumulating, and we hope the Road Accident Fund can assist with costs. We appeal to the community for support.
She added the family was traumatised by the incident. “It is infuriating to see such a disregard for road safety, especially regarding drunk driving. We feel betrayed.”

Sekhukhune United released a statement conveying condolences to the families.
“Sekhukhune Unite FC regrettably learnt of the unfortunate incident involving one of our players, Shaune Mogaila. We would like to convey our deepest and heartfelt condolences to the family of the minor who lost her life. Our thoughts and prayers are also with those who have been injured, and we wish them a speedy recovery.”
Follow us on our Facebook, X, Instagram and TikTok pages. Join our WhatsApp group for any story ideas you may have.
Related article: Sbahle Mpisane gets bail for reckless and negligent driving in Midrand



