Mandla Msibi may still be elected
With the much anticipated ANC provincial conference imminent, the party’s former elections manager, Mandla Msibi, may still be elected and rise to power.
MBOMBELA – Msibi, who, according to the ANC’s newly adopted step-aside rule, had to relinquish all his organisational active duties after he had been charged with murder, may still get nominated at the conference, and if he accepts, may yet be elected.
Before his charges were brought forth, Msibi was tipped to become the party’s next treasurer and was regarded as one of the conference’s kingmakers. He has always been vocal about his support for Mandla Ndlovu to take the driver’s seat of this organisation.
A well-placed source within the ANC confirmed that Msibi can actually be nominated and be elected into any position within the party during the forthcoming conference.
ALSO READ: ANC conference will sit as planned
“Remember, he was never fired or forced out of the ANC, but voluntarily stepped aside as per our constitution. He is still very much a member of the ANC and is eligible to be nominated and elected into any position within the organisation. The only thing is that he will not be permitted to actively participate in organisational matters until his court case is concluded, but yes, the conference may nominate and elect him,” said the source.
Even though Msibi declined to comment on the issue, referring all queries to the party’s provincial task team (PTT) structures, the word from most branches within the Ehlanzeni Region and some parts of Nkangala and Gert Sibande, is that they will push for his nomination, as many believe that his murder case is politically motivated.
ALSO READ: ANC team throws weight behind the presidency for second term
“I am still a dedicated and respecting member of the ANC, and I can’t be drawn to comment on organisational issues as that would make me seen to be disrespecting the organisation. There are proper organisational communications channels that you must go to for comment,” said Msibi.
The PTT coordinator, Lindiwe Ntshalintshali, said the ANC conference is the highest decision-making body of the organisation and therefore, if conference wants to nominate any candidate(s), it is free to do so. During this highly expected conference, Ndlovu is expected to go head to head against Lucky Ndinisa, Peter Nyoni and Refilwe Mtshweni-Tsipane for the chairmanship position.
The conference has been confirmed for April 1 to 3.



