Ermelo man gets 2 life terms for raping wife and stepdaughter
A 36-year-old Ermelo man was sentenced to two terms of life imprisonment after being found guilty of raping his wife and her 14-year-old daughter.
A 36-year-old man will serve two life sentences after being convicted of raping his wife and 14-year-old stepdaughter at their home.
NPA spokesperson Monica Nyuswa said the convictions followed attacks on separate occasions. According to Nyuswa, evidence presented during the trial revealed that a protection order had previously been obtained against the accused due to his abusive behaviour.
Court hears timeline of abuse
The first incident occurred on June 3, 2022, after the victim’s mother became ill and was admitted to hospital, leaving the 14-year-old child in the care of the accused. Nyuswa said during the night, the accused entered the child’s bedroom and raped her. Fearing for her life after being threatened by the accused, the victim did not immediately disclose the incident. She later reported the abuse to a social worker.
Both victims were subsequently assisted through the Ermelo Thuthuzela Care Centre, where they received medical treatment, psychosocial support, and other victim-centred services.
ALSO READ: Police seize R4m dagga at Oshoek Port of Entry
The second incident occurred on July 17, 2022, after the mother had been discharged from hospital. Nyuswa said the accused returned home after consuming alcohol and demanded sexual intercourse from his wife.
When she refused, he raped her and threatened to kill both her and her child if she reported the matter.
The following morning, the victim sought help from a neighbour and reported the incident. The matter was subsequently reported to the police, leading to the accused’s arrest on both counts.
Devastating impact
During the trial, the State presented evidence, including the testimony of the complainants, first reports made after the incidents, and J88 medical reports confirming injuries sustained by the victims. Evidence further revealed that the accused had a history of violence and that a protection order had previously been granted against him. Nyuswa said the court found the accused guilty on both counts.
Court preparation officer Faith Masango compiled a victim impact statement on behalf of one of the victims. In her statement, the victim described the devastating and enduring consequences of the abuse, stating that the accused had ruined her life and left her feeling that her future would never be the same.
In aggravation of sentence, the state prosecutor submitted that the accused occupied positions of trust within the family as both husband and father figure. Rather than protecting the victims, he exploited and violated that trust most seriously.
ALSO READ: R100 000 reward as Mpumalanga police hunt Marite tavern shooting suspect
The State further highlighted the prevalence of rape and gender-based violence in society and urged the court to impose an appropriate sentence that reflected the gravity of the offences.
The accused was sentenced to life imprisonment on each count of rape. Nyuswa said the court ordered that his particulars be entered into the National Register for Sex Offenders, declared him unfit to possess a firearm, and found him unsuitable to work with children.



