Ramaphosa moves country to adjusted level 2, as Covid cases show decline

President relaxes curfew and discusses vaccine passport.

President Cyril Ramaphosa has announced that South Africa will move to adjusted lockdown level 2 from Monday, September 13.

The move comes after statistics showed a steady decline in Covid cases in the past weeks.

The country has been on adjusted level 3 since July 25.

Under alert level 2, the following restrictions apply from midnight tonight: The curfew is now pushed back to between 23:00 and 04:00.

Non-essential establishments like restaurants, bars and fitness centres will need to close by 22:00 as the curfew kicks in at 23:00, Ramaphosa said during a televised national address.

Gatherings are limited to a maximum of 250 people indoors and 500 outdoors. No more than 50% capacity.

“Alcohol sales open from 10:00 to 18:00, Monday to Friday. Alcohol sale for on-site consumption until 22:00. Alcohol remains prohibited in public spaces. This will be reviewed in two weeks.

“Alcohol sales for on-site consumption will be permitted as per licence conditions up to 22:00.”

Ramaphosa said funerals remained restricted to no more than 50 people.

After tears gatherings are still banned.

Ramaphosa said the government was looking into various mechanisms to implement vaccine passports.

“Vaccine passports is in the process of being finalised. The Department of Health will be looking into this for those who have been vaccinated to have this with them when travelling aboard to prove you’ve received the jab.”

Ramaphosa urged people to get vaccinated.

He said the more people that get vaccinated before December, it was less likely that we would experience a devastating wave over the holiday period.

The number of Covid-19 infections have shown signs of a sustained downward trend in the past week.

The average number of daily new infections over the last week is 29% lower than the preceding seven days, and 48% lower than the seven days before that.

The total number of laboratory-confirmed Covid cases in SA stands at 2 858 195.

A further 126 Covid-19-related deaths have been reported, bringing total fatalities to 84 877 to date.


*Notice: Coronavirus reporting at Caxton Local Media aims to combat fake news

Dear reader,

As your local news provider, we have the duty of keeping you factually informed on Covid-19 developments. As you may have noticed, mis- and disinformation (also known as “fake news”) is circulating online. Caxton Local Media is determined to filter through the masses of information doing the rounds and to separate truth from untruth in order to keep you adequately informed. Local newsrooms follow a strict pre-publication fact-checking protocol. A national task team has been established to assist in bringing you credible news reports on Covid-19. Readers with any comments or queries may contact National Group Editor Irma Green (irma@caxton.co.za) or Legal Adviser Helene Eloff (helene@caxton.co.za).

Read original story on rekord.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button