Watch: Shoot-out ensues in attempted Mpumalanga CIT heist
In what is the fifth cash-in-transit heist incident this month, three guards were injured during a shooting incident in Hazyview.
A shoot-out between cash-in-transit (CIT) guards and suspects attempting a heist took place on the R40 in Hazyview, Mpumalanga, yesterday afternoon. Three guards were injured.
Lowmed EMS’s Frits Koekemoer says it is thought the guards had sustained minor injuries when one of the suspects’ vehicles crashed into the armoured vehicle during the attempted heist. They were taken to Mediclinic Nelspruit. He adds that there were no fatalities.
The heist attempt had occurred near the Sasol filling station and Westvaal Numbi Ford Hazyview. An eyewitness of the heist, who wished to remain anonymous, says he was at his place of work when the attempted heist took place. He immediately started filming, but adds that when some stray bullets began hitting the building and some of the cars in the parking area, he ran for cover.
Mpumalanga Directorate for Priority Crime Investigations (Hawks) spokesperson Captain Dineo Sekgotodi says no cash had been stolen and that the Hawks were on the scene.
This is the fifth CIT incident to have occurred in the Lowveld in the past month. The first heist had occurred near White River on July 5, the second in Marite on July 8, another in KaNyamazane on July 17, and one near Mara on July 20.
It is unclear how many suspects were involved in the Hazyview incident. It is reported that some were on foot while others were in vehicles. It is unknown if any arrests have been made as yet.
Read original story on lowvelder.co.za