Fired City of Mbombela CFO believes she is being targeted

The City of Mbombela's chief financial officer’s contract was terminated following a council resolution.

The termination of City of Mbombela (CoM) CFO Delight Sibanyoni’s employment has sparked debate over procedural transparency and the legitimacy of allegations against her.

A special sitting of the CoM council on April 30 resolved to terminate Sibanyoni’s contract effective on June 1.

According to a CoM press statement released on May 6, the decision was based on the provincial MEC for co-operative governance, human settlements and traditional affairs (Coghsta), Speed Mashilo, not concurring with her appointment.

However, concerns have been raised regarding the reasoning and legal standing of this dismissal.

A letter from Mashilo’s office, seen by Lowvelder, advised the municipality to take the matter to council due to alleged misrepresentation on Sibanyoni’s CV.

This follows a similar stance taken by the former Coghsta MEC, Mandla Msibi, who had also voiced disapproval of her appointment in a July 12, 2023, letter.

Mashilo’s April 4 letter reiterated Msibi’s opposition, stating: “The department maintains the advice that was provided through a letter dated July 12, 2023.”

He gave the municipality 30 days to act.

Sibanyoni, however, disputed these allegations, arguing that she was previously cleared of any misrepresentation claims.

“The MEC saw my qualifications and experience. We defended the alleged misrepresentations in affidavits,” she told Lowvelder. She added that Mashilo withdrew a court case on this matter, which was struck off the roll on October 29 last year.

“The MEC must go to court and reinstate the matter for it to be heard,” she said, questioning why the issue was being revived.”

Court documents confirm that the case was withdrawn by the applicant, with each party ordered to cover its own costs. It remains unclear whether new evidence has emerged prompting Mashilo’s renewed opposition.

Requests for comment from Coghsta spokesperson Lindiwe Msibi went unanswered. A follow-up with Mashilo himself was made on May 7, but he was in a meeting at the time of publishing.

Meanwhile, the EFF’s provincial leadership released a statement demanding that Mashilo recover salaries paid to Sibanyoni since her appointment.

“We call on Mashilo to urgently recover all funds irregularly paid to Sibanyoni,” the statement read, asserting that she gained an unfair advantage through alleged falsified qualifications.

Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.

Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.

Read original story on www.citizen.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Riot Hlatshwayo

Riot Hlatshwayo is a senior journalist based in Mbombela, Mpumalanga. He is the former Bureau Chief of the Sowetan Newspaper in Mpumalanga. Riot has written for more than 16 publications in South Africa and abroad. He is also a former journalist at the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC).
Back to top button