3 arrested at SADC Summit in Durban
Police in KZN arrested three people for allegedly attempting to gain unauthorised entry to a venue hosting leaders from southern African countries.
The National Joint Operational and Intelligence Structure (NATJOINTS) has confirmed the arrest of three individuals who attempted to gain unauthorised access to the venue of the 46th Ordinary SADC (Southern African Development Community) Summit currently taking place in Durban, reports Berea Mail.
SAPS spokesperson Brigadier Athlenda Mathe said two Congolese nationals were arrested on Saturday (August 15) after attempting to gain entry to the summit venue using accreditation that had not been issued to them and belonged to another person.
“The suspects were detected at an access-control point when their identities did not correspond with the accreditation presented and were immediately arrested.
“The two Congolese nationals face charges of fraud, impersonation and contravention of the Safety at Sports and Recreational Events Act 2 of 2010,” she said.
On the third arrest, Mathe added that earlier this week, a Zimbabwean national was also arrested after allegedly attempting to obtain accreditation under the guise of being a performing artist in an effort to gain access to the summit venue.
“The Zimbabwean national faces a charge relating to being illegally in the Republic of South Africa,” she said.
Meanwhile, NATJOINTS said it is fully aware of plans for marches and other public gatherings in and around Durban during the summit period.
“NATJOINTS respects the constitutional right to protest peacefully and lawfully. However, there will be no tolerance for criminality, violence, intimidation, threats, destruction of property, attempts to breach restricted areas or any deliberate effort to disrupt the proceedings of the summit,” it said.
Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.
Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.
Read original story on www.citizen.co.za