Charges withdrawn in Montford murder case as family demands answers
Relatives question delays and missing evidence after the accused in a fatal 2025 shooting walks free following a provisional withdrawal.
The family and friends of a 23-year-old man from Montford, Durban, who was shot and killed, allegedly by a friend, are praying for justice after charges against the accused were provisionally withdrawn.
Rising Sun reports that Dalen Gounden’s untimely death has left a trail of trauma, heartache and anger. He was killed in September 2025, just weeks before his 24th birthday.
KZN police spokesperson Colonel Robert Netshiunda initially confirmed that a murder probe was underway.
“Amanzimtoti police have opened a murder case following an incident in which a 23-year-old man was allegedly fatally shot during an argument. Reports indicate that on September 26, 2025, the victim and the accused drove along the R102 at Illovo Beach when an argument broke out, which resulted in the accused shooting the victim,” he said at the time.
Court appearance and withdrawal
The accused, Dilyn Keanu, appeared in the Umlazi Magistrate’s Court last Wednesday wearing a bulletproof vest and escorted by more than a dozen police officers, according to a friend of the victim.
“For each of his past appearances, he was escorted by members of his security company, Sizani Protection Services, but now had over 20 cops around him. In court, they said that the case was provisionally withdrawn due to outstanding documents, including the Tracker report, bank statements, and more. If this is all they were waiting for, why is it taking so long? Now the accused is a free man for the most part, but we are hoping that justice and the truth prevail,” the friend said.
Family’s account
The victim’s father, Nagentheran Gounden, said the family learned of his son’s death through their own efforts rather than from police.
“Dalen was a very humble, caring person who loved his soccer, friends, and family. He would never harm anyone, and his friends and family can vouch for that. Unfortunately, he had to meet up with people who were not his type, and they took his life. He came home on that fateful day, had a haircut, picked his sister up, dropped her off at home, and then he told us that he was going to watch soccer at a ground in Escombe – that was the last conversation that we had with him.”
He said they noticed that he did not come home that night.
“It was only when I received an SMS from the tracking company that the device was disarmed via the battery that we made enquiries. We found that the vehicle was at the Amanzimtoti Police Station. We asked one of his friends to go through to the police station to check what was happening. He told us that we needed to come to the station, where we were informed that he had been shot and is no longer with us. His future was bright, and he had incredible relationships. We all loved him to bits,” the father said.
Friends remember victim
The deceased’s friends, deeply affected by his death, described him as a kind-hearted person who always went out of his way to help others.
“There was never a day that went by that he did not make us smile and laugh. He will never die in our hearts. He was a good friend, the best anyone could ask for, a brother, and a great son to his parents. We will always love and miss him,” they said.
Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.
Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.
Read original story on risingsunnewspapers.co.za