KZN fugitive accused of killing fiancée finally caught after 2 years
A fugitive accused of killing his fiancée in front of their children has been arrested in Durban after more than two years on the run.
After more than two years on the run, a 41-year-old fugitive wanted for the brutal murder of his fiancée has finally been arrested.
The Witness reports that the man, who cannot be named by law to protect the identity of his children, appeared in the Volksrust District Court in Mpumalanga yesterday after being tracked down and arrested by police last week.
He has been remanded in custody pending his formal bail application on October 27.
The man was wanted for the murder of his fiancée, who was stabbed multiple times at their home in Vukuzakhe, Volksrust (north of Newcastle), in February 2023.
The attack took place in full view of their two children, who managed to escape and raise the alarm.
According to police spokesperson Colonel Fundiswa Maphanga, the man fled immediately after the murder and was believed to have crossed into the Kingdom of Eswatini, where he is also suspected of being involved in another murder case involving a romantic partner.
After an extensive two-year manhunt, detectives from Durban Central, working closely with police in Mpumalanga, received information that he had resurfaced in Durban.
“Working hand in hand with their KZN counterparts, police swiftly moved in and arrested him at a lodge before he could carry out another alleged heinous plan involving his children,” Maphanga said.
She added that the breakthrough came after months of co-operation between the two provinces.
“His arrest marks the end of a two-year manhunt and highlights the unwavering determination of the South African Police Service in ensuring that justice is served, no matter how long it takes,” said Maphanga.
The acting Mpumalanga police commissioner, Major General Zeph Mkhwanazi, praised the investigating teams for their persistence and teamwork.
“This arrest demonstrates that the long arm of the law always catches up with those who commit violent crimes. We will continue to work diligently to ensure that criminals are brought to book,” said Mkhwanazi.
Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.
Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.
Read original story on witness.co.za