Mpumalanga woman admits kidnapping newborn 22 years ago

The woman acknowledged her actions were wrong and pleaded guilty to kidnapping the infant two decades ago.

A 52-year-old woman who had kidnapped a newborn baby 22 years ago, will hear her fate in the Ermelo Magistrate’s Court on July 10 when sentencing proceedings get underway.

According to Monica Nyuswa, the Mpumalanga spokesperson for the NPA, the accused pleaded guilty to the crime and was subsequently found guilty of kidnapping a newborn baby.

“In her plea, she admitted that her actions were wrong,” says Nyuswa.

The woman, from Carolina, was arrested on November 29, 2021, for the kidnapping of a child.

Ermelo SAPS spokesperson Captain Carla Prinsloo previously told Highvelder News the girl’s biological mother (who was aged 16 at the time of the incident), had given birth to her in Ermelo Provincial Hospital on March 23, 2001.

The mother and baby were discharged from the hospital on the same day.

The baby’s aunt went along to accompany them back to the mother’s house in Breyten.

On their way to a local taxi rank, they met the suspect, who walked along with them and offered to hold the baby as the mother was experiencing pain and dizziness while the aunt had gone to visit a shop nearby.

Read original story on highveldernews.co.za

 
Back to top button