NCCC to meet on Wednesday, says government spokesperson
According to Phumla Williams, Wednesday’s NCCC meeting will be a ‘regular’ one, ‘as we commence the year’.

Government spokesperson Phumla Williams says the National Coronavirus Command Council (NCCC) will meet on Wednesday at 9am, The Citizen reports.
This as the country anticipates President Cyril Ramaphosa’s address as the number of cases continue to rise, with the country having recorded more that one million cases and more than 30 000 deaths.
The National Coronvirus Command Council will be meeting tomorrow at 9am.
— ATHI GELEBA 🇿🇦 (@AthiGeleba) January 5, 2021
As of Monday, the cumulative number of detected Covid-19 cases was 1,113,349, with 12 601 new cases identified. Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize noted that new cases represented a 33.7% positivity rate since the last report.
Meanwhile, 434 more Covid-19 related deaths were reported, with 133 from Eastern Cape, 2 from Free State, 36 from Gauteng, 71 from KwaZulu-Natal, 7 from Limpopo, 25 from North West and 157 from Western Cape.
This brought the total number of Covid-19 related deaths to 30 011.
Williams’s announcement comes after a message circulating on social media claimed the NCCC would meet to discuss stricter regulations following calls from hospitals and healthcare workers.
The message read in part: “South Africa is experiencing a second wave of the pandemic and things are now from bad to worse. Some countries are also imposing bans on flight from South Africa. It’s believed that the President will take South Africa to level 5 of the lockdown for a period of 7 days starting tomorrow midnight. It’s a total lockdown for a week. Hospitals are overwhelmed by trauma and Covid-19 cases, continued our source from the Presidency.”
Social media was abuzz with speculations of another hard lockdown as the cases continue to rise. However, Williams dismissed the message as fake news and said: “There is no planned NCCC meeting which usually precedes President addressing the nation.”
According to Williams, Wednesday’s NCCC meeting would be a “regular” one, “as we commence the year”.
The meeting does not necessarily mean Ramaphosa will address the nation, she added.
Ramaphosa announced last month that the country was moving back to adjusted level 3 lockdown that had seen all social gatherings, including faith-based gatherings, being banned for the first two weeks of January.
No more than 50 people may attend funerals, announced Ramaphosa.
He also announced that citizens could now face fines and even jail time for not wearing masks in public.

Notice: Coronavirus reporting at Caxton Local Media aims to combat fake news
Dear reader,
As your local news provider, we have the duty of keeping you factually informed on Covid-19 developments. As you may have noticed, mis- and disinformation (also known as “fake news”) is circulating online. Caxton Local Media is determined to filter through the masses of information doing the rounds and to separate truth from untruth in order to keep you adequately informed. Local newsrooms follow a strict pre-publication fact-checking protocol. A national task team has been established to assist in bringing you credible news reports on Covid-19.
Readers with any comments or queries may contact National Group Editor Irma Green (irma@caxton.co.za) or Legal Adviser Helene Eloff (helene@caxton.co.za).
Read original story on citizen.co.za