Polokwane: 11 motorists arrested for drunk driving
Meanwhile, the number of fatalities on provincial roads since the start of the Easter weekend, has increased to 11.

POLOKWANE – “I am worried about drivers who continue to drink and drive despite numerous calls made since the launch of the Easter Road Safety Campaign.”
These are the words of Transport MEC Mavhungu Lerule-Ramakhanya after 11 motorists were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol.
In a statement, media liaison officer Mike Maringa said the motorists were arrested in Polokwane on Saturday night (April 16).
“These motorists were arrested during sting operations by traffic officers in an effort to curb road carnage on Limpopo’s major routes. A total of 67 drivers were taken to the traffic alcohol screening evidence centre in Polokwane and 11 of them were found to be over the accepted limit,” he explained and added the highest reading was 0,78 mg/l.
The MEC applauded the traffic officials for their work. “We commend the law enforcers for the sterling work of ensuring that the lives of innocent people are safe by screening and arresting those who deliberately transgress,” she added.
Meanwhile, Maringa said the number of fatalities on provincial roads since the start of the Easter weekend has increased to 11.
“There have been 11 fatalities from 34 reported crashes. The number is lower compared to the same stage last year where 18 people were reported dead from 45 serious crashes,” he added.
Maringa explained speeding and reckless driving has been cited as the most common cause for crashes reported between Thursday and Saturday. “Driving under the influence and fatigue cannot be ruled out as the underlying causes because motorists have lost control of their vehicles in a number of these crashes.”
Traffic volumes are expected to pick up again later this afternoon. “Motorists who want to avoid congestion on Easter Monday are expected to flood the N1 and R101 heading to Gauteng. The province will maintain a strong presence of law enforcers on all the major routes to ensure that there is a smooth flow of traffic and compliance to minimise road carnage,” he added.
Lerule-Ramakhanya warned motorists to be cautious as roads in most parts of the province are slippery due to downpours. “Motorists are urged to reduce speed and maintain a safe following distance. We will continue with our operations and remain visible until the end of the long Easter weekend,” she concluded.
Read original story on reviewonline.co.za