SA surgeons to reconstruct face of boy attacked by hyena in Zimbabwe
BRYANSTON – Leading the procedure is Dr Ridwaan Mia who noted that while Rodwell remained in high spirits given the circumstances; he still has a long road ahead of him as this was quite a horrendous trauma.
Nine-year-old Rodwell Khomazana is set to undergo several facial reconstruction surgeries at Mediclinic Sandton after being attacked by a hyena.
Rodwell reportedly lost his nose, left eye, most of his upper lip and parts of his forehead when he was mauled by a hyena during a night-time church service outside Harare last month.
After receiving treatment in Zimbabwe, the young boy was flown to Johannesburg on June 19 and admitted to Mediclinic Sandton in Bryanston where he will undergo intense facial reconstruction pro bono.
The arrival of Rodwell Khomazana at Sandton Mediclinic for Reconstructive journey. Rodwell was attacked by a Hyena in Harare. @DrRidwanMia is spearheading the treatment and fundraising drive . #sabcnews pic.twitter.com/81CfrMhpmL 👉🏽 #HelpRodwell 👇🏾👇🏾👇🏾
— Ashraf Garda (@AshrafGarda) June 19, 2021
Leading the procedure is Dr Ridwaan Mia who noted that while Rodwell remained in high spirits given the circumstances, he still had a long road ahead of him as this was quite a horrendous trauma.
“We removed the dressings this morning, giving us a much better idea of what the injures are,” said Mia during a virtual media briefing on June 21.
Mia added that the facial reconstruction would be done in stages over the next two weeks due to the seriousness of the injury.
Rodwell and his mother remain patient and thankful to the hospital management and the community of donors who have made all of this possible.
“They [Rodwell and his mother] are a little bit nervous but overall very trusting. They wished us well and said that we were in their prayers,” said Mia.
Read original story on sandtonchronicle.co.za