Truck hijacking near Dundee escalates into R100 000 ransom demand
A dramatic hijacking on the R68 in northern KZN triggered a fast-moving police operation after reports emerged that a truck driver had been kidnapped.
Police officers rescued a kidnapped truck driver and arrested a suspect following a hijacking on the R68 between Dundee and Nquthu yesterday afternoon (May 14), reports Northern Natal News.
According to police, the truck driver and his assistant were travelling along the route when they were confronted by suspects travelling in a red sedan.
Police said the suspects allegedly opened fire on the truck, forcing the driver to stop.
“The assistant managed to flee, while the truck driver was forced into the suspects’ vehicle,” police spokesperson Colonel Robert Netshiunda said.
Suspects demand R100 000
One of the suspects allegedly drove the truck for about a kilometre before abandoning it on the roadside.
While police were still at the scene, the truck owner reportedly informed officers that the suspects had demanded a R100 000 ransom for the driver’s release.
Police then launched an intelligence-driven operation based on the information received.
The operation was carried out by officers attached to the Glencoe K9 Unit, assisted by detectives and uniformed members from Dundee SAPS.
“The victim was rescued in Glencoe a few hours after he was kidnapped,” said Netshiunda.
During the operation, a 57-year-old suspect was arrested, and the vehicle allegedly used to carry out the crime was recovered.
A manhunt has since been launched for the remaining suspects involved in the hijacking and kidnapping.
The arrested suspect is expected to appear in court soon.
Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.
Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.
Read original story on www.citizen.co.za