Van drives over alleged robber in failed Bushbuckridge cash-in-transit heist

Video footage is circulating of a vehicle driving over a man believed to have attempted to rob a cash van in Mpumalanga.

A failed cash-in-transit (CIT) robbery at a Bushbuckridge shopping complex earlier today (May 5) has led to an alleged attacker being run over twice, allegedly by the driver of the cash van who had been stabbed during a heist attempt.

Video material of the incident, showing how the cash van drives over a man lying partly on the sidewalk, before reversing and repeating the process, is circulating on social media. The video is, however, too gruesome for publication.

Lowvelder reports a Bushbuckridge Community Radio journalist at the scene, Smangele Prudence Masina, said two suspects approached the cash van while it was parked at the complex just after 11:00.

She alleged that one of the suspects opened the driver’s door and stabbed him.

“A security guard who works at the shopping complex fired two shots at the suspect who had opened the driver’s door. He fell to the ground, and the driver quickly drove over him twice in an apparent attempt to neutralise the threat. The second suspect fled on foot without taking any money,” said Masina.

She added that the driver reportedly did not know whether the suspect was armed at the time the latter was run over.

The driver was rushed to hospital in a serious condition, while the suspect was declared dead at the scene and his body was collected by forensic pathologists.

Mpumalanga police spokesperson Colonel Mavela Masondo initially confirmed the incident but said authorities were still awaiting full details from officers who attended the scene.

Police probe

Police have since confirmed that a murder case has been opened following the incident, with an attempted robbery also under investigation.

Police spokesperson Brigadier Donald Mdhluli said the cash van had two security officers inside when it parked, and the passenger had gone into a nearby store.

“It is alleged that a male, armed with a sharp object, opened the passenger door and attacked the security officer seated in the driver’s seat,” said Mdhluli.

He added that other security officers at the scene allegedly fired shots at the attacker, who fell to the ground.

“It is further alleged that the driver of the cash-in-transit vehicle subsequently drove over the man, who was later certified dead at the scene,” he said.

The deceased has not yet been formally identified.

‘Do not share the video’

Mdhluli addressed the circulation of graphic footage linked to the incident, urging the public not to share it.

“This may cause further trauma to the families of those involved and to sensitive members of the public,” he said.

He added that investigators need space to conduct a thorough probe.

Meanwhile, acting provincial police commissioner Major General Zeph Mkhwanazi condemned the incident.

“Anyone who will be found to have acted unjustly will have to face the consequences without fear or favour,” he said.

*The article has been amended after it was first published to include the statement by police spokesperson Brigadier Donald Mdhluli.


Breaking news at your fingertips… Follow Caxton Network News on Facebook and join our WhatsApp channel.

Nuus wat saakmaak. Volg Caxton Netwerk-nuus op Facebook en sluit aan by ons WhatsApp-kanaal.

Read original story on www.citizen.co.za

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Network News in Google News and Top Stories.

Riot Hlatshwayo

Riot Hlatshwayo is a senior journalist based in Mbombela, Mpumalanga. He is the former Bureau Chief of the Sowetan Newspaper in Mpumalanga. Riot has written for more than 16 publications in South Africa and abroad. He is also a former journalist at the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC).
Back to top button