Emergency loadshedding declared from 10pm
Eskom has blamed the unplanned outages on years of inadequate maintenance.
Eskom said earlier this evening that it would begin loadshedding nationally from 10pm until 8am tomorrow.
Both KwaDukuza’s Stanger Northern Grid and Ballito Southern Grid will not be affected during this period.
Tongaat and Mandeni will also be spared power outages.
“Owing to an unanticipated conveyor belt failure at Medupi power station, the system is currently severely constrained and vulnerable,” said Eskom.
The power utility said it hoped to “create adequate reserve capacity” to stabilise the system before Monday.
However, “oweing to inadequate maintenance over a number of years, the system remains vulnerable to unplanned outages”.
Eskom continues to ask you to use less electricity as this may help avoid or reduce the level of loadshedding.
Check your loadshedding schedule on the Eskom website (loadshedding.eskom.co.za) or through the customer contact centre on 0860037566.
Stay in the loop with The North Coast Courier on Facebook, X, Instagram & YouTube for the latest news.
Mobile users can join our WhatsApp Broadcast Service here, or if you’re on desktop, scan the QR code below.

