IFP asks Councillor Nkosi to resign but she denies any wrongdoing
More upheaval as Endumeni Council goes through more turbulence

There has been yet another change in the Endumeni Council. The IFP has asked Councillor Dudu Nkosi to resign after they accused her of ‘insubordination’.
Mrs Nkosi was only elected in late November as the IFP’s proportional representation Councillor, following the resignations of Councillor Richard Mbatha and Councillor Bongiwe Mbatha.
However, Xolani Msizane, the IFP’s publicist, told the Courier that Mrs Nkosi had ‘defied the party’s mandate’ after she had abstained from voting when the Council had to elect an acting municipal manager.
The ANC appeared to be backing L Cindi while the IFP/DA/EFF axis preferred Sithembiso Mthembu to continue acting.
“She chose not to vote at the last Council meeting after she had already been previously reprimanded for not following the IFP mandate.”
She was then asked to resign from Council.
BREAKING NEWS: Endumeni’s new Mayor is….
Mbulelo Phakathi, a Sithembile resident, has been nominated to stand for the IFP in the March 6 by-election for Ward 3, Sithembile.
The seat became vacant after Thabani Molotshwa was also axed by the IFP after he had sided with the ANC and ended up being elected Mayor in late November.
Mr Msizane said the ‘IFP expresses great regret in letting Sithembile down’ and said the party had learned from the experience and were willing to work harder to bring service delivery to Sithembile.
“We ask the community to trust us once again and this time we assure them we will not repeat our previous mistakes – we will put the people of Sithembile first.
Dudu Nkosi reacts
In her reaction, Dudu Nkosi, said her fellow IFP Councillor, Callie Carelse, had written a letter to the IFP President, National Executive Committee and Political Oversight Committee, to report about what took place at the council meeting on January 30.
In the letter, Cllr Carelse mentioned his disappointment in Cllr Dudu Nkosi’s behavior in coming late to the meeting, not attending the caucus meeting earlier in that day and not voting with the coalition of the DA, EFF and IFP coalition.
“All I am asking for is for the IFP to review their decision and I can only hope that with this article the truth will come to light.”
Mrs Nkosi was adamant that she was not present when Deputy Mayor Sduduzo Mdluli, was elected and ‘therefore did not defeat the mandate of the caucus by not voting’. She explained that: “I was not present that day, therefore, I cannot be accused of not voting with the coalition.
“Secondly, the reason why I did not vote on the addendum regarding the position of acting municipal manager was that Sithembiso Mthembu had already indicated that he wished to withdraw from the position due to unavoidable family commitments for the next three months.
Scuffles outside Municipality following shock voting in of Mayor …
“Hence I did not even see the reason for voting as he wanted to step down. Only Lwazi Cindi was available as acting municipal manager that’s why I abstained from voting.” She accused Cllr Carelse of ‘having an agenda against her’ as in his letter ‘he does not mention that I told him 15 minutes before the caucus meeting in question that I won’t be able to make it but will attend the Council meeting’.
“All I am asking for is for the IFP to review their decision and I can only hope that with this article the truth will come to light.”
Asked to comment, Cllr Carelse said he was not allowed to comment to the press in terms of the party instructions.

HAVE YOUR SAY:
Like our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram or email us at dundee.courier@caxton.co.za. Add us on WhatsApp 071 277 1394



