‘I will not succumb to threats’ says Mahlaba
"You cannot expect me to abandon meetings that I have already committed to a long time ago. I will never do that..."
“Residents have the right to protest, but they have no right to interfere with the freedom of other residents trying to reach their destinations or conduct business,” said Newcastle Mayor, Dr Ntuthuko Mahlaba, in anticipation of the mass action planned for tomorrow.
“You cannot expect me to abandon meetings that I have already committed to a long time ago. I will never do that, and I will never succumb to threats,” he added.
Asked about the nature of the business that kept him from engaging with residents, which would have deterred further protest action, Cllr Mahlaba explained some of the meetings he had scheduled for this week were geared towards securing municipal infrastructure grant funding from CoGTA (the Department of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs), as well as negotiating with overseas investors to bring big business to Newcastle.
“We have many things we are working on to boost the economy of the town and create employment for its people. I cannot divulge all the details at the moment because negotiations are at a critical stage, and it won’t happen overnight, but we are working on it,” explained Cllr Mahlaba.
However, he said investors would not come to a town where electricity was cut, or there was instability and protests.
“I was out of town last week to attend to Eskom, but we left the Deputy Mayor and the Speaker behind to address the protesters. We will attend to the grievances of the residents but it has to follow a process. I have been engaging with residents and I can assure you there won’t be 50 000 people on the streets tomorrow, but there will always be those who are not prepared to exercise any patience.”
Cllr Mahlaba maintains residents must continue the pay the new rates until the appeals process has been finalised. Ratepayers who have not appealed their new property values can still lodge a query, if they believe their properties have been over-valued.
“If you do not lodge a query, we will not attend to your rates dispute. It’s as simple as that. We cannot run local government like it is a tuck shop. We have to do everything within the prescribed legislation. Property valuation is a normal, statutory process which must be done every five years,” he asserted.
Responding to protest organiser, Mdu Mnisi’s claim the municipality was forcing residents to pay in order to reduce the financial burden, after it had been looted through the criminal activities of corrupt and officials, Dr Mahlaba said, “The issues of fraud and corruption have been investigated and we will take those reports to Council in the next two weeks. I promise there will be serious action taken to recover the money stolen from the individuals responsible.”
“I know that all of us, including those people who are protesting tomorrow, have the best interests of Newcastle at heart. I understand where they are coming from,” he continued. “All I am saying is that they need to meet us halfway and raise their grievances using the proper processes, then give us a chance to attend to them.”
Cllr Mahlaba confirmed he would engage with the community during a public meeting on Tuesday.
“I am going to be honest with residents,” he concluded. “If they don’t pay for services, how will we maintain the infrastructure or grow the economy of the town?”
ORIGINAL STORY: Here’s what you need to know about tomorrow’s protest action
Contact us
WhatsApp: 082 874 5550
Email: Reveshni Douglas (Editor) at reveshni@caxton.co.za
Make sure you follow us for constant updates:



