CrimeNews

Vryheid Primary falls victim to fifth break-in

A total of 26 classrooms were damaged and a number of toilet cisterns and storeroom windows were broken.

Lolo Madonsela

Vryheid Primary School faced the wrath of criminals for the fifth time since March last year.

On Monday this week, a total of 26 classrooms were damaged and a number of toilet cisterns and storeroom windows were broken.

According to the Principal, Thuli Tshabalala, some of the security cameras were off due to there being construction work taking place at the school.

“There were people working in the school installing water tanks, hence some of the cameras and alarms were off,” said Tshabalala.

One of the witnesses, who was working on the premises at the time, said they saw a man walking down the passage. When they tried to approach him, he fled and then jumped over a wall.

Also read: Learner dispute ends with death

“He was carrying a plastic bag, so we gave chase. When we apprehended him, he dropped the bag and managed to escape into a nearby house,” said the witness.

Given the school’s previous break-in incidents, one of the teachers produced a picture of a suspect and the witnessed confirmed it was indeed the person they had chased.

Chairperson of the school governing body, Sakhi Siyaya said this most recent break-in would cost the school more than the previous incidents.

“The last break-in cost the school approximately R30 000, but the damage this time around is so much more. We are really hurt by this senseless act and are appealing to the community to assist us and alert us if they see a person selling books with our school stamp, or any other material belonging to the school. We will do our best to tighten security even more and appeal that the department also pitches in to help.”

Tshabalala confirmed the reopening of the school would commence as planned and should there be any changes, parents would be notified.

“As soon as the forensic team is done with its work, we will resume repairs immediately so learners can be back in school with no hiccups. Due to the urgency of the matter, we did not put out an advert for a contractor, since we already have a contractor on site which will do the job immediately.

“We expect learners to be at school when we reopen and should there be any changes we deem may affect teaching and learning, we will let the parents know through the Vryheid Herald,” she concluded.

SAPS officials were not immediately available for comment on the matter.

School’s toilet sinks broken during break-in.

Make sure you follow us on our social media platforms for regular updates

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Northern Natal News in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button