Local newsMunicipalNews

Department to upgrade Quagga Road

The Gauteng department of roads and transport plans to upgrade Quagga Road.

Motorists in Laudium can now breath a sigh of relief as the heavy congestion on the R55, also called Quagga Road, is set to become a thing of the past, after the Gauteng department of roads and transport launched a R48 million project to rehabilitate the remaining portion of the key route.

The roadworks entail resurfacing of 4km dual carriageway, shaping drains, installation of kerbing and guardrails, erecting of new road signs and markings and formalising intersections.

The Gauteng MEC for roads and transport, Ismail Vadi, said the department was fulfilling its commitment made to the public earlier this year that it will upgrade all alternative routes in the province, for the benefit of motorists.

“This project is a seven month project and was an upgrade that was long overdue. The Quagga Road was a complete mess and it was deteriorating. The R55 is a good alternative route and many people use it, therefore the department made it a priority to get the project underway after many complaints from residents in the area,” Vadi told Rekord.

On Monday several parents complained to new education MEC, Panyaza Lesufi, that the heavy congestion on the road caused their children to always be late for school. Mariam Moosa, mother of a grade 10 pupil at Laudium Secondary School, said her daughter is constantly late for school due to the heavy traffic on Quagga Road. “The traffic between Claudius and Laudium is a living nightmare. My daughter is late for school every morning for the past two weeks since the roadworks have started. I hope our councillor and the metro can find a way around the traffic,” she said.

Councillor Mohamed Farouk Essop advised residents that the council will minimise the congestion. “The metro will make every effort to minimise disruptions during the next few months, covering the area from the Erasmia Main Road in the south, up to the Iscor Bridge just north of Laudium,” he said.

Motorists have also raised complaints of the dangers of driving on the R55 as some said the poor conditions are damaging their vehicles. “This road has cost me a lot of money because it has caused damages to my car. I am very pleased that the MEC has stuck to his promise of repairing the road,” said resident Ahmed Kalla.

Vadi also emphasised that the road upgrade will improve safety for motorists and also help in creating jobs for many in and around Laudium.

“A Project Steering Committee has been established with the assistance of councillor Essop, which will ensure that at least 40 job opportunities are created and that skills training is provided for participants from the locality in the project,” said Vadi.

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button