CrimeLocal newsMunicipalNews

Theft disrupts Centurion power supply

Centurion’s power outage hopefully restored within 24 hours after another cable theft.

Centurion residents have again been plunged into darkness after the Brakfontein substation was hit by cable thieves.

The substation was vandalised in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

“The Tshwane metro’s technicians and repair teams are on site busy attending to the problem. It is anticipated that the power should be restored within the next 24 hours,” the metro said in a statement.

Areas affected included Amberfield, Brakfontein, Heuweloord, Rooihuiskraal North, Thatchfield, The Reeds and parts of Wierda Park.

A petition against cable theft has been initiated to get the government to intervene as this type of crime has become rampant in Centurion.

The petition was drawn up by the Wierdabrug sector 3 community policing forum (CPF). Forum chair Hannes du Buisson said the objective was for the authorities to act against scrap metal dealers that trade in illegal copper cables.

At least 1 040 signatures had already been collected. Residents wishing to add their signatures to the petition can click here.

More stories:

Centurion cable theft continues

Five more power stations targeted in Centurion

Petition to stop cable theft

 

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button