MunicipalNews

Msimanga visits Lotus Gardens over power-outage problem

“I arrived on-site to find a number of long trenches dug where copper cables had been stolen, substations vandalized, streetlight poles chopped down and internal mechanisms stolen,” said Msimanga

The metro will reconnect areas affected by the power outage in Lotus Gardens, Tshwane mayor said on Tuesday.

Solly Msimanga was on a visit to the area where he found substations vandalised and cables stolen.

“I arrived on-site to find a number of long trenches dug where copper cables had been stolen, substations vandalised, streetlight poles chopped down and internal mechanisms stolen,” said Msimanga.

He said he was surprised that almost a kilometre of trench could be dug and cable stolen without residents seeing anything.

“We will do what we can to speedily reconnect the area, but we need the community to work with us,” he said.

ALSO READ: OPVOLG: Tydelike setlaars gelukkig by Lotus Gardens

One of the residents said the problem of power-outages has been consistent for the past three months.

Alvin Chetty said this has made life difficult for him because he had an infant.

“It’s a big loss for us and a huge inconvenience. Sometimes it’s (power outage) for more than 24 hours,” said Chetty.

“I have to go out of my way to ensure that my one-year-old baby has meals prepared.”

He said the community was trying its best to fight cable theft, but there wasn’t much they could do.

Power outage in Lotus Garden due to cable theft.
Msimanga said power outages in Lotus Gardens would be restored soon.
Ditch dug to unearth cables.
Msimanga visits areas affected by power outages in Lotus Gardens.
One of the substations vandalised. Photo: Supplied
Cables stolen in Lotus Gardens.
One of the dug trenches where copper cables have been stolen.

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

 

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button