CrimeNewsSport

UPDATE: Suspect accused of attempted murder of homeless man set free

Five bodies of homeless men were found in Muckleneuk and Sunnyside in a period of three weeks.

A 40-year-old man who was accused of attempting to kill a homeless man has been released from police custody.

The man is said to have been arrested on Wednesday following a string of murders in Muckleneuk and Sunnyside.

Five bodies of homeless men were found over a period of three weeks, fuelling speculation that a serial killer was on the loose.

National Prosecution’s spokesperson Phindil Louw-Mjonondwane said the case could not be put on the court roll as the man had been arrested for longer than 48
hours.
“According to the law an accused person must appear before court within 48 hours of being arrested.”

“This is to afford the accused a fair judicial process.”

ALSO READ: NEWSFLASH: Suspect in court for attempted murder of homeless man

Mjonondwane said it was found that the man had been arrested for longer than theprescribed period on Friday when he appeared in court.

Police spokesperson Captain Kay Makhubela said the man was arrested following “police investigations”.

The identities of three of the five dead men have since been confirmed by investigators.

Police spokesperson Captain Mavela Masondo said police could not divulge the ages or names of the identified men until their families were informed.

The victims were all male, middle-aged, and homeless and killed during the night.

Most of the victims sustained blunt force trauma to the head and stab wounds to the upper body.

A team of specialists from forensic services, including pathologists and criminal psychologists, crime intelligence, and detectives, have been tasked to investigate the cases.
Anyone with information can contact their nearest police station or call the crime stop
number 08600-10111.

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button