Good Samaritans restore west home gutted by fire
The fire broke out in Danville after a candle presumably was accidentally knocked over. The first priority was to try to restore the rooms, toilet and bathroom.

A group of good Samaritans from the west of Pretoria are making an effort to repair the house destroyed in a fire last week.
“There is a lot of work still to be done at the home,” said AfriForum Pretoria West neighbourhood watch chair Francois Oberholzer.
“But the first priority was to try to restore the rooms, toilet and bathroom.”

The fire broke out last Tuesday morning in Ochse Street, Danville after a candle presumably was accidentally knocked over.
The garage, laundry and kitchen were destroyed.
Oberholzer earlier told Rekord that the house showed signs of smoke damage and the kitchen roof fell in.
Since the fire, several residents have been helping the family and this weekend, started renovating the home.

READ MORE: West home razed by fire
“So far we managed to sand, wash and paint the bedroom, bathroom, toilet and kitchen,” said Oberholzer.
“We have planned our work in such a way that there could be a bedroom for the family – couple, Amanda and Paul Juul, and their child. Their toilet and bath facilities were also restored. ”
The owner of the house, Sarie Hartsfield, is temporarily living with her son in La Montagne.
“The living room still needs to be redone. Windows still need to be replaced and new ceilings still needs to be installed,” said Oberholzer.
“We still need equipment to do this job. We also need kitchen cabinets because all of it was destroyed in the fire.”
Oberholzer said since last week he has taken many donations from the community.
He said he would take the donations to the house when it was secure.
Pretoria Gardens resident Veronica van der Neut said residents could also drop off donations at her place.
READ MORE: North house fire leaves couple destitute
She is brand ambassador for the Classic Regency international beauty pageant and also does regular work in the community.
“My husband and I went there and were shocked to see how much these people lost,” she said.
“We helped where we could and went and got food for everyone.”
She said she would ask residents to donate at a function she’s planned this weekend.
Oberholzer and Van der Neut said any donations were still welcome.

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
