CrimeLocal newsNews

Pretoria man gets 30 years in jail for raping a nine-year-old

The 50-year-old man was sentenced by the Pretoria magistrate’s court on Thursday for raping a minor.

A 50-year-old man was sentenced to 30 years in prison by the Pretoria magistrate’s court on Thursday for raping a nine-year-old.

National Prosecuting Authority regional spokesperson Lumka Mahanjana said Duncan Ndlali (50) from Mamelodi raped the minor in 2019 at her home while her grandfather was sleeping.

“In February 2019 around 07:00 Ndlali went to his girlfriend’s grandfather’s place in Nellmapius. The girlfriend and the mother of the child had gone to a funeral.

When he got there, he found the child in the kitchen, making food for herself while the grandfather was still sleeping in his room,” Mahanjana said

. “Ndlali took the child to the other (a different) room, placed her on top of the bed, undressed her and began to molest the child.

The child fought him off and started crying until he stopped.” Mahanjana said the child reported the incident to her mother when she returned home later that day.

“The mother reported the matter to the police and Ndlali was arrested. He had been in custody since,” she said. During the court hearings, Mahanjana said Ndlali pleaded not guilty to the charge of rape.

“The National Prosecuting Authority welcomed the sentence.”

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button