Local newsNews

Solomon Mahlangu restoration project launched

"It presents a big economic opportunity and business development for Mamelodi."

A project to restore and beautify Solomon Mahlangu Freedom Square kicked off on Friday.

The local business community gathered at the square on the day to assess what was needed to be fixed and of any improvements that were needed.

Those present also committed to the contribution they would make to the project.

Both SA Day and Capital City Business Chamber (CCBC) were playing a leading role in organising the visit, in close collaboration with the Tshwane metro.

Tshwane metro regional executive director in region 6, Billy Sepuru, said the project presented a unique opportunity for the city and the people of Mamelodi.

“The project is not just to rejuvenate the square but it’s important in writing the story of the role Mamelodi played in the struggle and it presents a big economic opportunity and business development for Mamelodi.”

ALSO READ: Just under R500-million meant for Covid-19 relief in Pretoria used for land purchase

He said the site will also attract tourists to Mamelodi.

Sepuru said the square had suffered security threats in the past years but two permanent security guards for the day and night shifts had been deployed and the metro police constantly patrol the square.

SA Day CEO Dr Bheki Shongwe said, “We have started the work that we were supposed to do at the request of the Ford motor company. SA Day aims to rebuild and uplift the townships and we have identified Solomon Mahlangu Square [for that purpose],” said Shongwe.

“The reasoning behind the project was to assist with community regeneration and upliftment through town makeover projects.

“It is also vital in assisting with an urgent need to rebuild and transform our municipality into a sustainable engine of economic growth as defined by the ‘Building the Capital’ initiative.

“As you are also aware, Mamelodi is next to the newly established Tshwane Automotive Special Economic Zone. In essence, it is an area that needs to be aligned with the incoming flux of international businesses and potential tourism,” said Shongwe.

Shongwe said that the project will be finished by May or June next year “or sooner”.

The Solomon Mahlangu square was officially launched in 2015.

Business people are to be able to familiarise themselves with Solomon Mahlangu Square,

The community of Mamelodi, however, never had a chance to make use of the site.

A total of R49-million was spent on the first phase of its construction.

The second phase, with a theatre and a museum, was still in the pipeline.

However, since 2016, drug addicts began vandalising the site because no more security guards were looking after the centre.

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button