CrimeLocal newsNews

Double murder suspect of baby and mother still on the run after police cell escape

The Pretoria family of a murdered woman and her eight-month-old child say they live in fear after the suspect and three other prisoners awaiting trial escaped from police cells last month.

The Pretoria family of a 20-year-old woman and eight-month-old baby, who were strangled to death, say they are living after the suspect in the double murder escaped from police station cells last month.

Mohammed Nassir (29), a Bangladeshi national investigated for the murder of eight-month-old Tasneem and his mother Chantelle Ash, is still on the run after escaping from Mahwelereng police station cells with three other prisoners on September 26.

Chantelle Ash (20) with her daughter Tasneem.

The bodies of the young mother and her baby were found by workers on January 14, two days after they booked a room with Nassir on January 12.

After a manhunt by police, Nassir was arrested on January 21 and charged with the murders of his wife and baby.

The mother and grandmother of baby Tasneem, Annie said she was living in fear following his escape from prison.

“My son and I now live in fear for our lives,” she said.

The family of eight-month-old baby Tasneem and mother Chantelle Ash are heartbroken.

“I am still battling with coming to terms that my grandchild and daughter are no more and this happens – it just breaks me apart.”

Annie said she could not believe how Nassir could have escaped under the police’s watch.

“When I heard he escaped, I was angry and just broke down. I could not believe how he could have escaped from the police.”

As of Thursday, she said the police informed the family that Nassir has yet to be arrested.

ALSO READ: Woman escapes spike robber unharmed

Annie said the prisoners managed to break the lock of the cell and escaped through the station’s roof.

Ongoing investigations are, however, yet to confirm how they escaped.

“He was set to appear in court for a bail application when he escaped.”

She said she wanted to open a case against the police on duty, but was told by the managers that they were investigating the prisoners’ escape.

Annie said the last time she spoke to Nassir, whom she said she treated like a son, was weeks before he was arrested by the police.

“When we spoke, I was trying to get hold of my daughter after having not spoken to her for days. He pretended that he did not know where my daughter and grandchild were. A few days later, I discovered that they were murdered.”

Mohammed Nassir (29), a Bangladeshi national investigated for the gruesome murder of eight-month-old baby Tasneem and wife Chantelle Ash, is on the run after escaping from Mahwelereng police station cells with three other prisoners on September 26. Photo: Supplied

She appealed to the public for help in locating Nassir.

“Anyone who can help or see him, I beg that they call the police so that he can be arrested.”

Spokesperson Brigadier Motlafela Mojapelo said investigations into the circumstances of the escape were underway.

“Police were alerted by other inmates about the escape and immediately launched a manhunt,” he said.

“The suspects were arrested for serious and violent crimes. Community members are advised not to attempt to arrest them if they have information about any of their whereabouts. They must instead contact the police,” he said.

In addition to Nassir, the other escapees were: Stanley Chiteya (38), a Zimbabwean national arrested for a business robbery in November 2020; Dexter Tinashe (26), a Zimbabwean national arrested for a business robbery in November 2020; and Joseph Hlongwane (37), a South African arrested for house robbery and rape in September 2021.

Stanley Chiteya (38), Zimbabwean national arrested for a business robbery that occurred in November 2020. He is one of four that escaped from police cells.
Dexter Tinashe (26), Zimbabwean national arrested for a business robbery in November 2020. He escaped from police cells last month.
Joseph Hlongwane (37), a South African arrested for house robbery and rape which happened in September 2021. He escaped from police cells in September.

Police appealed to anyone with information about these escapees to contact the investigating officer, Lieutenant Colonel Sekanka on 082 565 8505 or Crime Stop number 08600 10111 or the nearest police station or MySAPSApp.

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button