Power pole shortage adds to east outage concerns
Ward 82 councillor Siobhan Muller has raised concerns about delays in repairing damaged electricity infrastructure.
Concerns over recurring power outages in Pretoria east have intensified after the Tshwane Metro confirmed that 52 outages have been recorded in the area since June.
The outages come amid complaints from residents about overgrown and poorly maintained trees interfering with electricity lines and contributing to power disruptions.
Metro spokesperson Lindela Mashigo said 21 of the outages were caused by theft of overhead line conductors, while eight were attributed to trees or vegetation interfering with the electricity network.
“Trees and vegetation coming into contact with overhead electricity lines can cause faults, supply interruptions and damage to the network, particularly during windy weather conditions,” Mashigo said.

Mashigo said all the power outages referred to in the enquiry had been restored.
He said trees and vegetation near electricity infrastructure are scheduled for maintenance twice a year.
“Residents are also responsible for ensuring that vegetation on their properties is properly maintained,” he said.
Where vegetation is close to electricity infrastructure, Mashigo said maintenance should be undertaken in consultation with the municipality to safeguard residents and prevent damage to the electricity network.
He said the metro currently has a limited number of replacement electricity poles in stock.
This comes amid concerns over delays in replacing damaged electricity infrastructure, including a pole in the Spiral Walk, Menlo Park, where residents said technicians attended the site but did not have a replacement pole.
“Available materials are prioritised according to the urgency and severity of reported faults to ensure that the most critical cases receive immediate attention,” he said.
“Emergency faults affecting electricity supply are prioritised, with teams working to restore supply as swiftly and safely as possible,” Mashigo said.
According to Mashigo, there is currently no backlog of electricity repair service requests in Pretoria east.
The response follows concerns raised by Ward 82 councillor Siobhan Muller about several electricity-related incidents in the area, including Menlo Park, Lynnwood, Waterkloof and Ashlea Gardens.
Muller raised the case of a damaged electricity pole in Spiral Walk, Menlo Park, which was reportedly knocked over by a delivery truck.
According to Muller, residents said photographs were taken last Wednesday, and technicians arrived at about 18:00 on Thursday, but reportedly did not have a replacement pole.
“Residents were allegedly told that the team would return, but said the repair had not been completed by the following day,” said Muller.
In response, Mashigo confirmed that the damaged pole in Spiral Walk still requires replacement.
“The depot currently has several damaged electricity poles requiring replacement, including the pole in Spiral Walk. Plans are already under way to attend to the affected poles as part of the city’s ongoing infrastructure maintenance programme,” he said.
Mashigo said electricity supply to the affected resident at Spiral Walk had been restored while arrangements were being made to address the damaged infrastructure.
Do you have more information about the story?
Please send us an email to bennittb@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram or TikTok or WhatsApp Channel
