“O Kae Molao” operation in Pretoria West successful
Over 200 traffic fines were issued to the value of R90 000, while 629 vehicles and 1 370 people were searched.
Tshwane senior management and several law enforcement agencies continue operation O Kae Molao this week to combat rising crime in Pretoria.
A total of 289 wanted suspects were apprehended from July 20 into the early hours of July 21. Among the detainees 80 were arrested for gender-based violence crimes and five on murder charges while thirty-eight undocumented persons were detained and taken to home affairs for further processing and eight face drug charges.
More than 200 traffic fines were issued to the value of R90 000, while 629 vehicles and 1 370 people were searched.
“Pretoria West has a high rate of robberies, hijackings, business burglaries and drug dealing.
“With these roadblocks, we are mainly looking for drugs, firearms, unroadworthy vehicles, undocumented immigrants and to maintain high visibility as the police which will keep motorists safe,” said Tshwane police acting district commissioner Brigadier Samuel Thine.
Each operation comprises heavily manned police roadblocks throughout the metro where thorough searches and inspections are conducted.
The operation is an ongoing effort from the metro to curb high crime and preserve community safety.
Some of the common offences noticed included motorists driving with an expired licence disk, cracked car windows and unroadworthy vehicles on the road.
In attendance was Tracker connect law enforcement liaison officer, Frans Stone who cautioned motorists against complacency “if it has wheels, they’ll steal it”.
Stone said some of the commonly stolen vehicles are VW Polos, Ford Rangers, Toyota Hiluxes, Nissan NP200s and Toyota Etos.
Thine said they were conducting other operations to address illegal activities in the more than 300 establishments trading second-hand goods in the area.
“Most of the operations we’ve had, we’ve found that secondhand dealers are not compliant with the law. Previously we issued fines, but now due to the high number, if it’s necessary to close them, we’ll close them,” said Thine.
ALSO READ: Tshwane metro seeks to fix bus schedules as it struggles to keep up with demand
Do you have more information about the story?
Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
