Local newsNews

Students receive R680m, despite some still in protest

The financial scheme had by August 4 paid about R608 601 526 to registered students.

The national student financial aid scheme (Nsfas) is gratified that it has funded 86% of its registered students to the tune of R680-million, despite many still protesting over defunding.

Thousands of students had their funding rescinded earlier this year after a recent investigation found that between 2017 and 2021, R5 106 561 573 was erroneously awarded to students that did not qualify.

The April preliminary investigation was done by the SIU.

On August 3, students marched to the Union Buildings and Department of Higher Education to air their displeasure about being defunded mid-year and removed from an online payment system for allowances.

Nsfas said it had however successfully on-boarded onto its new direct payment system about 357 693 registered beneficiaries.

The financial scheme had by August 4 paid about R608 601 526 to registered students.

The University of Pretoria has about 9 547 students funded by Nsfas and has disbursed about R25 327 741 and Unisa R18 002 168 to its 51 576 students.

The Tshwane University of Technology has 34 303 Nsfas students and has paid out almost R70 366 230.

“After just two months of implementation at universities, Nsfas is proud to announce that 86% of Nsfas-funded students have been successfully onboarded onto the scheme’s new direct payment method.

“This achievement marks a pivotal moment in our ongoing commitment to providing efficient and timely financial support to our beneficiaries. While we observe this milestone, we are cognisant that challenges persist,” it said in a statement.

It said approximately 14%of students were yet to access the full benefits of their bursary.

“Nsfas remains resolute in its commitment to seamless accessibility of funds, and we are actively working to resolve any remaining barriers that hinder the disbursement of allowances to these students.”

It said it would further offer transparency and accountability in addressing concerns of the direct payment solution, defunding of underserving students, streamlining of student accommodation and preparations for the 2024 application cycle soon.

The statement is against the backdrop of hundreds of unhappy students recently gathering at the University of Pretoria to march to the Union Buildings in protest over the Nsfas defunding, and other grievances.

The group gathered at Duxbury Road accompanied by police.

The protesters comprised DA, EFF, ActionSA, and Sasco student organisations, joined by counterparts from the universities of North-West and Limpopo.

UP SRC president, Njabulo Sibeko said: “We are facing issues regarding the defunding of students halfway through the year without giving them a proper appeal system that is convenient for them.

“We are also fighting the direct payment system that was introduced whereby payments are handled by third parties. So far students are not receiving their allowances or they are receiving triple allowances. It’s not a system that’s working as effectively as it was when it was handled by the university.”

Sibeko said that the students were also against the rule that students who received 60 credits would be prevented from receiving their meal and accommodation allowances.

“The defunding of students is the biggest thing because students have to pay back everything they’ve received from Nsfas. They have to pay back the accommodation, the allowances, the textbook money they’ve received and also the tuition fees which means students will be in a debt of R100 000, if we’re underestimating,” Sibeko stated.

Students said the direct payment system prevents students from accessing third-party systems and their identification as their files are among other documentation.

ActionSA student chapter chairperson, Donald Letsoalo said that the fraudulent applications cannot affect the majority of students.

“We’ve seen cases where some have submitted false information on applications and other instances of this nature, however, this can’t be the precedent of defunding students and introducing systems that don’t work,” Letsoalo commented.

“That’s why we are here as ActionSA, DA, EFF, Sasco, because we are all students and this affects us all that’s why the minister must receive this memorandum.”

Lathitha Mbuzwana from PE’s Nelson Mandela University SRC said the transition to direct payments is inconvenient for many students.

“We reject eZaga, we reject Norraco, we reject Coinvest and any other service provider they’re throwing at us. Students don’t get allowances, if they don’t have funding, they can’t study or have access to meals, buy groceries or accommodation,” Mbuzwana said.

“When you don’t have accommodation, you are expected to leave your accommodation site and be relocated wherever. Property owners say they don’t care, you’re expected to leave. So where are you supposed to go to? For example, a student in Johannesburg being relocated to the Eastern Cape, how are they supposed to get the money?”

Moot 13-year-old is found safe, police confirm

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, we employ humans to generate daily fresh news, not AI intervention. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button