SPORT: Lungi Ngidi’s fitness bonus for struggling Proteas
The 23-year-old will be available for selection for the Proteas in their crunch World Cup match against New Zealand at Edgbaston on Wednesday.

Proteas and Multiply Titans fast bowler Lungi Ngidi has recovered from a hamstring injury that kept him out for three games at the ICC Cricket World Cup.
The 23-year-old will be available for selection for the Proteas in their crunch match against New Zealand at Edgbaston on Wednesday.
ALSO READ: SPORT: Steyn’s injury could dent Proteas’ World Cup hopes
Ngidi’s injury meant he was out of Proteas’ matches against India, West Indies and Afghanistan.
“I passed my fitness test this morning so I am match-fit and ready. I’m bowling at 100%; if I wasn’t, then I would not be ready to play. I went as hard as I could go in my test, at match intensity,” Ngidi said on Monday.
“Against Bangladesh we were a lot shorter than we should have been, they took advantage and were able to post a good total they could defend. Me going off was also not in our favour. We could have tested their techniques a lot more, instead we bombarded them with the short ball, which they expected, and it played into their hands.”
Proteas are yet to find their rhythm at the World Cup despite winning against Afghanistan on Saturday.
Great to hear that Lungi Ngidi has been declared fit for Wednesday's must-win #CWC19 game against New Zealand. They need all the help they can get #NZvSA #ProteaFire pic.twitter.com/y8lBpu4hnu
— ThePoppingCrease (@PoppingCreaseSA) June 17, 2019
They face favourites New Zealand, who have the likes of Colin Munro, Martin Guptill, Kane Williamson and Ross Taylor. The four batsmen have already made their mark in this World Cup, having reached half-centuries each, but their strength lies much on their bowling attack.
Ngidi reckoned that their battling order has not been tested yet and could be a little vulnerable.
“We don’t think their middle and lower-order has been tested enough, so if we can get one or two wickets up front and get their middle-order in as early as possible then we could be looking at a different story. We plan to test them more here at Edgbaston with that fuller length, five metres or so, and the thing Ottis Gibson keeps telling me is to hold my length, which hasn’t been ideal up front.
ALSO READ: Proteas clinch T20 series against Sri Lanka in Centurion
“I didn’t execute my skill in the first couple of games, but we want to put New Zealand under pressure in the power play and test their techniques. Our bowling has been pretty good so far, Chris Morris and KG Rabada are leading the attack very nicely, Andile Phehlukwayo has been spot-on and Beuran Hendricks gives us a bit more pace. They’ve been hitting their lengths very well,” Ngidi said.
Good news coming in from the South Africa camp… 👀
Their paceman @NgidiLungi has been confirmed “100 per cent” fit for his side's must-win clash against New Zealand.https://t.co/Mu9pJRWVsn
— ICC (@ICC) June 17, 2019
Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
