Springboks’ second Test against Georgia cancelled
Shortly after Saturday's game between the British and Irish Lions and the Bulls was placed "on hold", SA Rugby announced that the second test between the Springboks and Georgia, which was scheduled for Friday night in Johannesburg, will also be cancelled.
SA Rugby confirmed late yesterday that the planned second Test match between the Springboks and Georgia had been cancelled because of COVID-19 infections in both camps.
The match was scheduled to take place at Emirates Airline Park in Johannesburg on Friday night but, following a review by the Medical Advisory Group (MAG) on Wednesday morning, it was confirmed that the risk of further infection made it impossible to continue with the match.
The Springbok playing and management group returned 12 positive tests for COVID-19 this week, while Georgia had returned four.
“In the context of the loss of life and economic damage that COVID and this third wave are wreaking, the cancellation of a rugby match is pretty trivial. But it is still a major disappointment for the many stakeholders who have invested so much time, energy and resources into making these matches happen,” said Jurie Roux, CEO of SA Rugby.
Roux said that he especially feel for the fans and players, and for the visitors from Georgia who travelled here at relatively short notice to take on the series, which has now been cut short.
“We’ve not been able to interact with them because of the bio-secure environments, but I’d like to thank them publicly for their support. We continue to plan for the Springboks’ re-emergence from isolation and the completion of the Test series but in the short-term we wish a speedy recovery for those who have been infected,” Roux remarked.
The enlarged Springbok squad’s travel plans are now being reviewed to comply with COVID-19 protocols.
A South Africa ‘A’ team is scheduled to play The British & Irish Lions at Cape Town Stadium on Wednesday, 14 July.
Do you have more information about the story?
Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East
For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram
