Local sportSport

Local senior and u.21 netball teams will defend their national titles in December in Cape Town

Gauteng North, which was crowned SA champions in both the senior and u.21 divisions last year, will defend their titles as SA Netball Champions under new, more regional, name as the “Tshwane” teams at the national championships to be hosted in Cape Town in December.

Cape Town, host city for the 2023 Netball World Cup, will be the venue for the annual SPAR National Netball Championships from Monday December 6 to Saturday December 11. The Senior and u.21 championships will run concurrently, with more than a thousand participants. This tournament will be played on a district basis, which provides more opportunities than the provincial system.  A total number of 95 teams have confirmed entry, with 54 competing in the senior tournament and the balance of 41 at u.21 level. The SPAR national championships are usually played during Women’s month, in August, but had to be postponed this year because South Africa was in the throes of the third wave of the Covid-19 virus, and was under Level Three restrictions at the time. Fittingly, the tournament will be played during the Sixteen Days of Activism against Women and Children abuse. Both Netball South Africa (NSA) and SPAR have committed themselves to the campaign against GBV and the players will affirm their commitment during the opening ceremony on Monday December 6. NSA Vice President and Tournament Director, Mami Diale, said there would be strict adherence to Covid-19 protocols during the tournament. “A limited number of spectators will be allowed, but they will have to produce their Covid-19 vaccination certificates before they are allowed in. The number of spectators will be strictly controlled to ensure that they do not exceed the numbers permitted by the Government,” said Diale. Matches will be played at Hoërskool DF Malan in Bellville, which has exceptionally good facilities, with seven netball courts. “We are so pleased that the 2021 SPAR National Championships are being held in Cape Town. It has once again been a difficult year for everyone, but with the Netball World Cup taking place in less than two years, it is important that we are able to see what talent is available in South Africa,” said SPAR Marketing Director Mike Prentice. Defending champions in both the Senior and u.21 Championships are Tshwane Senior and Tshwane u.21 (previously called Gauteng North). Selected matches will be broadcast on SuperSport OTT1 channel 244 on DSTV.

 

Do you have more information about the story?

Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: Rekord East

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Rekord in Google News and Top Stories.

Koos Venter

Koos Venter is an experienced journalist who started his career 35 years ago, before the days of cellphones, modern computer systems, the internet and digital cameras, as a correspondent for Nexus, the former national magazine of the Department of Correctional Services. He has since worked for various other publications in all aspects of news coverage, as a columnist and in the production side of newspapers and online publications. Since 2007 he has specialized as a sports writer, while he is also regularly used as an analyst and commentator by several radio stations.
Back to top button