
LIMPOPO – The department of sport, arts and culture and Limpopo Boxing Promoters have finally reached an agreement after week-long quarrels over a boxing tournament that was snatched from them and moved to the Eastern Cape.
The tournament was scheduled to be staged by the Limpopo Boxing Promoters on September 25, but was moved to Mdantsane in the Eastern Cape at the 11th hour.
Local promoters planned to protest and demand an explanation from sport, arts and culture MEC, Nandi Ndalane, who was mum over the matter at the time.
Sport, arts and culture general manager, Veronica Choshane, confirmed they had a long meeting with boxing promoters and the way forward had been agreed on.
“The chairperson of Limpopo Boxing Promoters, Johny Khubana, also apologised for involving lawyers. He also withdrew his idea of taking the matter to the Public Protector, Adv Thuli Madonsela, to probe the department,” she said.
However, although Khubana confirmed they had agreed on a way forward, he said he had not apologised to Ndalane as there was no need.
“When it comes to the Public Protector, we had not yet engaged her office, or other parties, so why should we apologise? We have agreed that we will formalise our grievance to the department by putting it in writing, and that is what we are busy with now,” Khubana said.
“Our apology goes to boxers and boxing fans. Boxers were ready to fight and were disappointed when the tournament was taken to another province,” he alleged.




