MunicipalNews

GMM claims dry reservoir is in working order

Locals accuse the municipality of lying about the water reservoir.

eMBALENHLE – The water reservoir and taps are dry in Extension 15.

Locals in some parts of the area, especially those next to the water reservoir, were without water for almost a week.

Though the municipality posted on their Facebook page that the reservoir was working, the newspaper established through experts that the reservoir was not working.

The Ridge Times covered a story about the reservoirs that were out of order in August, and soon thereafter the municipality posted on Monday, 2 September that it was working.

In the story, the municipality claimed the water reservoir had been working since it was handed over to them in March.

They also claimed that they had not received any complaints from residents experiencing water supply shortages, including those living on high lying areas.

Mr Bonginkosi Nkabinde, a resident, said the municipality has misled the people by claiming that the reservoir was working.

He said the reservoir has never worked and that they had been receiving water from the by-pass.

“This reservoir has never worked, the municipality must stop lying and fix it.

“Right after the handing over of the reservoir, I personally went to the reservoir to see whether it was working and I discovered that it was not.

The municipality must take responsibility and service its people.”

The reservoir was disconnected from supplying water to the area after residents complained that the water was contaminated with algae and worms in 2017.

The municipality decided to disconnect the reservoir and it was left unattended for a long time, until residents raised their concerns that the unbarricaded reservoir was posing a danger to their children as they often play there.

The Ext 15 residents claimed they had found little red worms floating in their water.

However, the council posted on its Facebook page that the reservoir was disconnected from supplying water, because of repairs. It was revamped by Overlooked Colliery as part of their social labour plan and handed over to Govan Mbeki Municipality in March.

A big handover celebration was held and both the municipality and Overlooked Colliery boasted about the good work they had done and about their fruitful relationship.

They promised that the reservoir would be operational the following week and that locals would receive clean and fresh water.

However, the reservoir is still dry.

The Ridge Times visited the water reservoir with experts from one of the local civil rights organisations who confirmed that the reservoir was not working.

They gained access through a broken palisade fence.

During the visit, it was noted that the valves from the tanks were rusted and the control room was welded closed, which proved that it was not in working order.

Speaking to the residents near the reservoir, they confirmed the fact.

“The handing over event was only a free lunch for us. This thing has never worked.

“We tried to raise the matter at one of the meetings, however, we were told to shut up.

“Unfortunately, we can not raise our concerns, because we will be threatened,” said a resident who wanted to remain anonymous.

Mr Lucky Mhlongo, municipal communications officer, said the pipe that is feeding the reservoir, is leaking which results in the water flowing slowly.

He said this will soon be repaired.

“The manager of the department informed me that the only time there was a water interruption was one Saturday.”

 

https://www.citizen.co.za/ridge-times/146263/breaking-news-rand-water-intends-throttle-water-pressure-40/

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Ridge Times in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button