
BETHAL – While parts of Bethal have still been experiencing lengthy power cuts, the question remains: how long will residents be subjected to these living conditions?
The Ridge Times reported throughout 2020 on Bethal’s fight against powerless days and businesses having to fork out thousands of rands in operating generators to continue with their work.
By now, many residents have also resorted to means of gas and generators because of the unpredictable electricity situation, however, not all are in the financial position to do so.
Bethal & eMzinoni Community for Services (Becs) assured the residents of Bethal and eMzinoni that they are still going on with their legal process, however, this is a long and lengthy matter.
The matter was set to be heard in court on Monday, 18 January, however, the registrar of the court notified Becs’ lawyers that due to Covid-19, the matter will no longer be heard in an open court.
“Our lawyer from MacRobert Attorneys dealing with our case, had to submit documents electronically where after the court will consider the matter,” said Mr Ziyaad Dangor, media spokesperson for Becs.
He said attorneys representing Gert Sibande District Municipality and Govan Mbeki Municipality approached the registrar of the court indicating that they wish to oppose the application.
“Our attorneys have objected to this because the period for filing the affidavits in terms of the rules of the court has long since lapsed.
“Their attorneys have said because of the Covid-19 pandemic they were unable to submit the affidavit and the person responsible for the submitting it was hospitalised and in quarantine because of Covid-19,” said Mr Dangor.
Mr Dangor strongly believes that the concerned parties are using Covid-19 as a poor excuse as they have had plenty of time to oppose the matter.
“They had time from the time we filled our application in September, but they are now only filling in January.”
Although Becs’ attorneys can go to court and object the matter, the attorneys have advised against this as this will result in more investigation, time and money.
“Our attorneys have since suggested that we grant the opposition the indulgence and a final opportunity to file their answering affidavits by next week,” said Mr Dangor.
Mr Dangor said no attempt has been made by the new mayor of GMM to make contact with Becs on ways to resolve the electricity matter in Bethal.
“GMM are playing musical chairs. They are using the same people, who couldn’t deliver services previously, just in different positions.
He said although Bethal’s electricity is better than in the “crisis time” this could all change as the demand is less in the summer than the winter.
“The minute we hit the winter Bethal will be slumped in darkness again because GMM is not fixing up the infrastructure, we have zero assistance from them.
“Where is GMM? When are they going to address the residents?”
He said this is going to be a long process and the opposing by parties is a perfect example of how lengthy legal action can take. “GMM will use every excuse in the book not to be brought to justice, they are using Covid-19 as an excuse to buy time.”
Although Covid-19 has delayed court proceeding by a month or two, Mr Dangor said the attorneys have not stopped and Bethal’s day in court will come.
“We are in the court’s hands. Now we wait,” ended Mr Dangor.



