MunicipalNews

Govan Mbeki Municipality’s mayor speaks out about the current water crisis

"This non-response has prompted us to approach the High Court to challenge what we feel is an illegal act by Rand Water. We remain hopeful that the Court of Law will be on the side of justice to the people before the end of the day today."

The Govan Mbeki Municipality approached the High Court to challenge Rand Water’s decision to impose more water throttling on residents.

Mr Nhlakanipho Zuma, executive mayor of Govan Mbeki Municipality, today issued a statement on the water throttling that has been severe for residents of Secunda, eMbalenhle and Kinross since last week.

He said it is unfortunate that the public in Govan Mbeki municipal area has to be subjected to such conditions on a human rights matter.

“The issue of water provision is a right enshrined in the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa.

“No one has a right to close water unless there is a breakdown of some sort as water is a basic need.

“What has happened over the past few days is uncalled for and should not be tolerated.”

Mr Zuma said in the statement that was published on the municipality’s Facebook page that a battle between state entities can never be advanced at the expense of the rights of the people to access.

“The Govan Mbeki Municipality has a historical debt to Rand Water that has been accumulating over years.

“We have since acknowledged the debt and committed on having it repaid in full over a long-term approach that should therefore be agreed between us as the municipality and them as a Water Board.”

According to Mr Zuma the municipality paid more than R75 million to Rand Water in December which covers their payments for October and November and placed the municipality up to date on the current account.

December’s account will be paid at the end of January.

Mr Zuma said this is the norm.

“The municipality is currently losing over R10 million worth of water on a monthly basis through leaks and illegal connections.

“We are calling on Rand Water to partner with the municipality and community of Govan Mbeki in declaring war against leaks and water theft.

“We understand that water is a scarce resource and needs to be handled with care.

“The municipality is committed to work with anyone in addressing the challenges facing the municipality.”

Mr Zuma said the municipality has informed and informed the offices of the MEC for CoGTA, and the Minister of Water Affairs in trying to find an amicable way of dealing with their differences.

“We have further requested a meeting with the board of Rand Water since Friday which we have yet to get any form of response.

“This non-response has prompted us to approach the High Court to challenge what we feel is an illegal act by Rand Water.

“We remain hopeful that the Court of Law will be on the side of justice to the people before the end of the day today.”

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Ridge Times in Google News and Top Stories.

Related Articles

Back to top button