CrimeNews

Rugby fever ends in tragedy outside popular Weltevreden Park bar

Honeydew Police spokesperson Captain Balan Muthan, confirmed that a murder took place in the parking lot at the centre.

Rugby World Cup Final fever and the Springboks’ triumph was cause for celebration this past Saturday, 2 November, and most restaurants and pubs were filled up by proudly South African supporters.

Read update here:

https://roodepoortnorthsider.co.za/309353/web-identity-revealed-of-fatally-stabbed-man/

However, at a bar at Devon Valley Shopping Centre in Weltevreden Park, the fever ended in tragedy, following an altercation between two men which resulted in the one stabbing the other.

Also Read:

https://roodepoortnorthsider.co.za/230686/14-year-old-stabbed-in-head-at-allen-glen-high-school/

Honeydew Police spokesperson, Captain Balan Muthan, has confirmed that a murder occurred in the parking lot of the centre.

“A case of murder is being investigated,” he said.

The Northsider did a bit of digging into the incident to try and establish what really transpired in the hours leading up to the fatal stabbing.

While gathering the information, it was brought to our attention that the altercation between the two men transpired at BallBreakers, a bar inside the centre. According to analysis of the CCTV footage of the incident by a source close to the investigation, the two men were seen on camera verbally attacking each other before blows were exchanged between them. The bouncers in the bar escorted one of the men out of the bar. He then left the building with two girls. However, the man left inside decided to follow the evicted man outside where he confronted him as he was about to drive off. It was at this moment that the stabbing took place.

It is alleged that the perpetrator stabbed the victim from inside his vehicle before driving off.

BallBreakers was approached to confirm the incident. The owner, who mentioned that they were working with the police to resolve the incident, said they followed the company’s security procedure by escorting one of the men out while the other party remained inside. “We normally have such situations under control. Sadly, it is against the law to keep anybody inside if they want to go. We can’t, because if we do, they can sue us,” the owner explained, alluding to the fact that they were unable to stop the man who allegedly stormed out in pursuit of the man who had been thrown out.

The owner also explained that any information pertaining to the incident has been conveyed to the police.

Jon Rosenberg, the Honeydew Community Policing Forum (CPF), public relations officer, who attended the scene with the CPF patrollers, said paramedics worked on the victim for a good half an hour before declaring him dead at the scene. He said the man appeared to be in his 30s and his immediate family was informed of his death by the CPF Victim Support Unit, the same night.

Muthan concluded that the suspect is still unknown and is wanted by the police.

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from Roodepoort Record in Google News and Top Stories.

Adele Bloem

Adele Bloem has been writing for the Roodepoort Record/ Northsider since 2016 and covered a range of topics, including hard, municipal, school, sport and other community articles. Since 2019, she is the editor of the two Roodepoort newspapers, ensuring every loyal reader receives a quality offering jam packed with the news they want to read.

Related Articles

Back to top button