PHOTOS: Strikes rock Umdoni
Burning tyres, large stones, broken glass bottles and bins were placed on various roads in an attempt to stop road users and the SAPS from entering or leaving Umzinto and Malangeni.
UMDONI hasn’t escaped a wave of violent strikes that are currently sweeping the country and informed predictions are that we can expect more.
The August 3 local government elections are the root cause, with poorer communities realising that local politicians need their votes and now’s the time to get their attention.
Violent protests consumed the streets of Umzinto during the late evening hours of Sunday, May 22, when residents reported having heard gunshots.
Burning tyres, large stones, broken glass bottles and bins were placed on various roads in an attempt to stop road users and the SAPS from entering or leaving Umzinto and Malangeni.
Hundreds of people blockaded the road at the Msholozi temporary housing settlement, as they were dissatisfied with the candidates nominated for the upcoming elections.
Chaos and pandemonium ensued the next day. “During the unrest, protesters stoned various vehicles in Malangeni, Sanathan Informal Settlement and near Nkonkas in Umzinto, damaging police vehicles,” said Scottburgh SAPS communications officer Captain Vincent Pandarum.
Various policing units were dispatched to contain the situation.
“Protesters demanded that they be addressed by the relevant authority in response to a memorandum that had been handed over previously,” said Captain Pandarum.
Despite being warned of the growing danger in Umzinto and Malangeni, the Mail went to investigate. According to a resident, tear gas and rubber bullets were used to disperse violent protesters as they set fire to tyres, trees, portable toilets and trash on Park Rynie Road in Umzinto, where the Public Order Policing Unit and Road Traffic Inspectorate had cordoned off the road.
“In the CBD, about 300 people protested, blockading the road from Jonathan Road to the Umzinto clinic. Pieces of rubble were also placed on Temple Road,” said KZN Media Centre SAPS corporate communications officer Lieutenant Nqobile Gwala.
Attempting to investigate further, the Mail’s journalist was ordered to turn around by protesters who would not allow him to cross the bridge leading to Esperanza.
The journalist’s vehicle was set upon by protesters throwing rocks.
KZN Emergency Medical Services media liaison officer Robert Mckenzie said that no injuries were reported, despite social media users mentioning the murders of four police members and a protester. Social media users also reported that a school and library in Malangeni had been set alight – this too was false, although an attempt to set a school on fire was allegedly made.
With growing tensions, the Mail managed to find one straggling protester who chose to come forward with information. “It took violent action, as peaceful means just went ignored,” he said. “The rest of the time we can shout and toyi-toyi as much as we want and they don’t listen.” The protester chose to remain anonymous for fear of persecution from the SAPS.
He further explained that politicians are only interested in the ‘minorities’ when election times are on the way. “We have nothing; we are suffering. We want someone who can represent us and our needs,” he said.
He warned that strike action would continue in Umzinto and Malangeni, maybe even spill over into Scottburgh, if demands for decent services weren’t heard.
Umdoni Municipality DA councillor Eddie Baptie informed the Mail that information they received – and which is supported by their own knowledge of the situation – is that the civil unrest is directly related to the issue of candidate selection in the ANC for the upcoming elections.
“The process that is used does not appear to rely on any form of objective criteria-based evaluation and selection. As a result, the potential candidates engage in various activities to promote their position and influence the party structures involved in the final decision,” said Cllr Baptie.
He explained that this behaviour is not unfamiliar. “We have witnessed these scenes prior to every election. There appears to be no intention to put an end to the errant behaviour of those involved in the mayhem.
The impact of this civil unrest is profound, with schools closing, businesses closing and citizens living in fear of the anarchy that reigns.
Come Tuesday this week, school buses were not arriving to pick up children from their homes. A source reported that she would not send her daughter to school, regardless of whether buses arrived or not, for fear of the protests starting again. Some businesses were open and trading; however, closer to the taxi rank, some businesses remained closed.
A total of 11 women were arrested in Malangeni on charges of public violence and appeared in the Umzinto Magistrate’s Court on Monday this week.
They were released on a warning and will reappear in court on June 28.
Another four men and women were also arrested for public violence on Monday and appeared in the Umzinto Magistrate’s Court yesterday (Tuesday).
At the time of writing a meeting was under way at the Umzinto Town Hall.
“Police were not welcome at the meeting, which was attended by delegates from the provincial offices of the ANC, Ugu, Umdoni and Vulamehlo municipalities.
The delegation is expected to proceed to Malangeni after the meeting and engage with protesters. It is believed that the delegation was responding to questions and demands embodied in a memorandum,” said Captain Pandarum.
The SAPS received reports of a pay loader and a motor vehicle belonging to a construction company having been set alight on Monday.
In Malangeni, a church prayer tent was also set alight, fortunately, although partially destroyed, the tent was saved by Umdoni Fire Department.
“A strong police presence is being maintained both in Umzinto and Malangeni,” confirmed Captain Pandarum, who added that the situation was resolved at yesterday’s meeting and that the protesters’ concerns will be considered and feedback will be given this Saturday (28th).
HAVE YOUR SAY
Like our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram
For news straight to your phone, add us on BBM 58F3D7A7 or WhatsApp 082 421 6033









