A second suspect in the murder of four children in the Ncukeni, KwaNzimakwe area made two appearances in the Ramsgate High Court this week.
The 49-year-old man appeared on Monday and yesterday (Wednesday) after yet another confession from the children’s uncle, Ben Zimele Mbhele (33).
ALSO READ : UPDATE: Uncle reportedly confesses to killing 4 children at Ncukeni after being ‘haunted’ by them
Mbhele is currently serving four life terms for killing Lwandle (4), Sphindile (7), Lwandile (11) and Bandile Mbhele (12) on September 1, 2017.
It is believed that Mbhele made a written statement from jail, fingering an alleged accomplice in the murders.
The suspect was arrested last Friday, said Margate police spokesman, Sergeant Sibu Ncane.
In March last year the court heard how Mbhele had stabbed the children to death at their home, leaving their bodies to be discovered on September 2.
Three of the children’s ears had been severed.
At the time of the killings, the children’s mother, Slindile Mbhele (28), had left them unattended while she visited a nearby tavern.
Mbhele had cried at the mortuary, been at the forefront of funeral arrangements and pleaded with the community to assist the police in finding the murderer, all the while being guilty of the crime.
He later confessed to the killings, saying he had been ‘haunted’ by the dead children.
At first he told family members that the murders were a ‘satanic act’, but it was later discovered that life insurance policies had been taken out on the children.
The ears of the three children have never been found.
The case continues.
HAVE YOUR SAY
Like our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram
