Nkosinathi Alpeos Ngcobo (32) was handed six life sentences and 146 years’ imprisonment by the Scottburgh High Court on Thursday last week.
The charges included murder, rape, attempted murder, armed robbery, and possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition.
ALSO READ : Released man goes back on killing and rape spree in Oshabeni
In 2017, Ngcobo was arrested by Mehlomnyama detectives in connection with a double murder and rape.
The state prosecutor declined to prosecute and opted instead to hold an inquest.
In 2018, Ngcobo was arrested again on an armed robbery charge.
His legal team attempted to have the charges withdrawn on a technicality however the local magistrate’s court refused and offered the investigating team three days to collect evidence for a bail application.
Police spokesman, Captain Simphiwe Mhlongo said a multidisciplinary task team consisting of the Hawks Port Shepstone Serious Organised Crime Investigation, Port Shepstone Cluster Detectives, Port Shepstone War Room, Mehlomnyama Detectives and Forensic Science Laboratory set out on an exhaustive investigation.
“It was established that Ngcobo was in fact a serial killer and rapist who was linked through DNA to 22 cases of murder, attempted murder, rape, armed robbery and house breaking in Mehlomnyama, Port Shepstone, Southport and Benoni.”
The National Head of the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation, Lieutenant-General Godfrey Lebeya has welcomed the sentences and also praised the fruitful collaborative effort of all those involved in the arrest, prosecution and conviction.
“It is disappointing that some individuals have no respect for other people’s lives. The people shall in his absence be safer. The work of the investigation and prosecution team is commendable,” he said.
HAVE YOUR SAY
Like the South Coast Herald’s Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram
To receive our FREE email newsletter, click HERE
