
Umzumbe Magistrate’s Court has yet again postponed the case of an alleged rapist who abandoned his bail bid for the fourth time recently.
His next court appearance is on Thursday, November 24.
The court said investigations are ongoing therefore the case cannot go to trial until all the evidence has been finalised.
The accused was charged with the rape of a 14 year old boy. He is allegedly one of five victims, who was brave enough to open a case. The other four boys did not open cases as they feared threats made by the accused.
During the bail hearing, braving the rain and showing support to the victims was the Women of Mtwalume Organisation’s deputy chairperson, Nompumelelo Blose who said as an organisation that supports the victim’s family, they feel that the case is dragging as it keeps getting postponed.
“We are hoping that the case goes to trial, especially as the victim is still living in fear that the accused will be released into the community.
“Currently the victim is in school and getting counselling which is helping him cope,”said Blose.
She said she hopes that at the end after all the evidence has been collected, the accused is given a life sentence, especially as he was previously convicted for a similar offence.
HAVE YOUR SAY
Like the South Coast Herald’s Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram
