Local news

Congolese march for peace

Exco member, Clr Thuleleni Khanyase accepted the memorandum on behalf of the mayor, Zodwa Mzindle.

Congolese citizens living in Port Shepstone pleaded with Ray Nkonyeni Municipality (RNM) to help them help their fellow brothers and sisters in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC)

A number of them marched to the municipal office on Tuesday morning last week to ask for help in the war between the DRC and Rwanda and the M23 rebel group.

Congelese nationals marching in Port Shepstone.

They say that they need South Africa to help them in the war and requested RNM to send their memorandum to the relevant people.

Pastor Jeremie Malengela of the Congolese community said the reason they marched to RNM is because they wanted to hand over the memorandum to ask for help.

“We have lost many people in our Goma province, but we are also very grateful to South Africa for what they have done for us.”

Exco member Clr Thuleleni Khanyase accepted the memorandum on behalf of the mayor, Zodwa Mzindle.

Exco member, Clr Thuleleni Khanyase (left) signing the memorandum, with Sage Masamba Jizas of the Congolese community.

She said that she will give the memo to the mayor, and she will then send it to the relevant authorities so that their concerns can be heard.

“We appreciate that they marched peacefully and adhered to the law.”

The march started from Chris Hani Square (Dick King parking) and finished at the mayor’s office.

HAVE YOUR SAY

Like the South Coast Herald’s Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from South Coast Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button