Strike: Residents to get R170 refund
The motion sought to credit residents for services not rendered during the strike, which affected the residents from October last year to February this year.
Residents from Ramsgate to Hibberdene will get a one-month credit on their municipal bill for refuse removal only.
Clr Tessa Perryman of Ward 13 said a critical Notice of Motion was passed during a special council meeting at Ray Nkonyeni Municipality (RNM) last Friday.
The motion sought to credit residents for services not rendered during the municipal workers’ strike between October 2024 and February this year.
Perryman explained that she placed a Notice of Motion at February’s council meeting on behalf of the DA in which she moved that RNM refunds all ratepayers who were unfairly billed for refuse collection for November and December 2024 and January 2025.
“This stemmed from the workers’ strike. It was agreed that this item be held in abeyance to give municipal leadership 30 days to consider matters and come back with an appropriate response,” she said.
Council noted that:
1. The financial impact relating to refuse billing for November 2024 to January 2025;
2. The council notes that although the service was interrupted, the refuse collection service was provided during the strike period. However, some areas were negatively affected compared to areas South.
3. That the municipality incurred costs of hiring service providers to assist during this period, which must be justified.
4. That the disruption to the refuse collection services to the ratepayers be acknowledged and compensation be considered as a token of sympathy to the ratepayers for inconvenience caused.
5. That the council approves that for the inconvenience caused, the municipality reimburse all ratepayers (excluding area South) a one (1) month refuse collection charge in the form of a credit to the ratepayers’ municipal accounts.
“Although I am disappointed three months will not be credited as I requested, reimbursement for services not rendered is not heard of and rarely happens, and it’s only because the DA pushed for this, did this happen. So, it is a win, and I am still happy that some relief will be passed on to the ratepayers,” said Perryman.
HAVE YOUR SAY
Like the South Coast Herald’s Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram
