Local news

Stable water supply soon for southern areas

The affected areas will have a much more reliable water supply by August.

KwaXolo, Izingolweni, Southbroom, and Port Edward will soon see a more stable water supply.

These Umtamvuna water scheme-fed communities will have a temporary, yet reliable solution, that has been successfully implemented to upgrade the power supply from 1.5MVA to 2.3MVA.

This is according to a statement from Ugu District Municipality on Monday last week.

Work on the project commenced on July 1, and by August the coastal community and inland communities from Umtamvuna to Izingolweni will have a much more reliable water supply.

Acting municipal spokesperson Zimbini Mpurwana said Eskom has given a planned outage date for the new tie-in to take place on July 21, with an alternate date of July 25.

Mpurwana says the project funded by Cogta saw challenges due to unresolved community issues in the Eastern Cape.

“Ugu continued to find an alternative temporary supply through combined technical expertise between Eskom and Ugu. Also, we will build up capacity at the off-channel storage over a period of four to six months, provided the general Eskom power supply remains stable with minimum electrical faults on the line.”

She added that the municipality is planning to upgrade the current Umtamvuna raw water pump station and off-channel bigger dam, where the current dam will be used as the secondary holding dam.

She says the business plans have been authorised by the Department of Water and Sanitation, and communities will be kept informed as the project progresses.

HAVE YOUR SAY

Like the South Coast Herald’s Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and Instagram

At Caxton, every story is written by humans. We use AI only to perform quality checks - never to generate the news. Happy reading!

Support local journalism

Add The Citizen as a preferred source to see more from South Coast Herald in Google News and Top Stories.

Back to top button