Human settlements MEC visits Masinenge fire victims
The MEC introduced the contractor that has been appointed to provide the homeless victims of the devastating fire with building material supply.
After fire gutted Masinenge Informal Settlement last Saturday, the KZN MEC for Human Settlements and Public Works, Sipho ‘KK’ Nkosi, visited the area.
Accompanied by both local and district municipalities, the MEC introduced the contractor that has been appointed to provide the homeless victims of the devastating fire building materials, so that they can rebuild their lives while waiting to relocate to the ongoing Slums Clearance Housing Project.
Masinenge residents told the MEC that aside from building materials, they need food, clothing and help with obtaining important documents that were lost in the fire.
During his visit, MEC Nkosi visited the completed units of the Masinenge Slums Clearance Housing Project as well as those under construction.
Nkosi expressed disappointment at the behaviour of some of the beneficiaries of the units of the Slums Clearance Housing Project who allegedly left their units to build shacks so that they can rent their units.
The Masinenge Slums Clearance Housing Project is among many projects the Department of Human Settlements is implementing in many municipalities under the Informal Settlements Upgrading Programme policy instrument.
Last year, 63 inhabitants of Masinenge Informal Settlement received their homes.
The department said the Masinenge Slums Clearance Housing Project scheduled to be complete in 2024 is built on prime estate next to a golf course and is expected to benefit 882 families at a cost of R102.3 million.
Like the South Coast Fever’s Facebook page

